Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ashleyw
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

AWS - Possible new product area for Veeam?

Post by ashleyw »

Hi,
I've just come off an AWS course - all very impressive, and we'll most likely more over to a hybrid cloud offereing where some of our load sits on an on-premise VMware vCentre infrastructure (traditional blades+FC SAN etc), and some of our other workloads sit in AWS and connectivity between the 2 via an ip/sec tunnel into the AWS VPC.

Is there any possibility to deploy Veeam as an AWS appliance that could integrate with the AWS snapshot facility to fully integrate backups (using AWS equivalent of CBT) of the AWS VMs into the familiar Veeam interface (which we love) and procide machine level restores?

If we had a single backup product that could span multiple public clouds (rather than just use the cloud providers for offsite backup repositories - ie. Glacier)?

Has any thought been given to this type of model - as it's the model many of our clients would love to move to - ie. a client with their own on premise stuff, but with other workloads in AWS, Azure, etc but with a single easy to use backup product to rule them all?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: AWS - Possible new product area for Veeam?

Post by veremin »

Hi, Ashley,

I’m wondering whether you’re interested in backing/replicating Virtual Machines from production to Amazon cloud environment, or you’re concerned with protecting Virtual Machines that are located in cloud, instead.

Either way, can you share your thoughts regarding what should be included in the product, assuming we have one. What are major issues you’re facing nowadays with the said services, etc.? All the feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw » 3 people like this post

thanks, at the moment our production VMs sit on our own on-premise VMware based infrastructure so we can use the existing Veeam product to back these up and store the backup files into long term cloud storage such as Glacier etc.
so we have no problem here.
In the near future, for production we are going to be making much more use of public cloud infrastructure such as AWS, so for environments that demand better geographical availability or require unique AWS features, we'll be standing up VMs under AWS.
When I've looked at the AWS model, it seems to be of the style that VMs are effectively throw away and can be redeployed easily - so this assumes new style cloud apps that are stateless (at the web tier) and that deployments can easily be scripted.
In traditional corporate workloads, older architectures are more common, so thus they present a headache in terms of being able to restore to a specific point in time (when they are running under something like AWS).

I'm thinking of a new product that Veeam could ship so they could package an agent machine in the form of an Amazon Machine Image that could interface directly with the AWS snapshots to work out changed data blocks on the elastic block volumes and could send these changes through to a central Veeam backup repository.

At the moment, we could achieve this through the use of agents inside the AWS VMs and using a traditional backup product - but we don't want to go there!

In the near future, we'll have our production workloads split between multiple cloud providers and our own on-premise VMware stack all interconnected transparently over ip/sec tunnels.

If Veeam can brainstorm how they can extent the current product offering to protect corporate workloads running in public clouds such as AWS, it would be great!

cheers
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

These forums are thoroughly monitored for potential features and product improvements. So, thank you, Ashley, for sharing your thoughts regarding AWS support; highly-appreciated.

Thanks.
scottg
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: scott geske

Post by scottg »

AWS has the option to back up your vmdk files to their cheap S3 storage, and then in a DR scenario bootstrap them and switch them over to an EC2 running VM.

I think VBR Cloud can back up to S3 but in vbk format. If there was a way to replicate your VMs to vmdks sitting on S3, it would be an super-cheap cloud DR/migration solution. This should be easy for Veeam to accomplish since all the pieces (CBT replication, writing to S3) are already in place.
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw »

Hi guys, we are increasingly seeing the possibilities of some of our on-premise workloads moving into AWS (and Azure) (for various valid reasons).
Has their been any work on this area?
Yes, I'm aware of Cloud Connect etc but this is very different (in my mind) of a complete Veeam architecture that can work across AWS transparently supporting the backing up and restoring of images (in a similar vain to N2W's Cloud Protection Manager).

cheers
Ashley
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

I am also interested in backing up to S3 and replicating directly to AWS
rbance67
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Richard Bance

Post by rbance67 »

I am hearing that something is in the works for this year, possibly an announcement in the next month... Stay Tuned!!!