Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bhendin
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ben H

Veeam NFS on version 7

Post by bhendin »

I have just installed v 7.0 on a Windows 2008R2 system that also runs my vSphere.

I cannot get the VeeamBackup_SERVERNAME NFS share mounted.

I have followed the KB articles I have found here to no avail, they all seem for version 5.x or 6.x - nothing for 7.x.

My one initial problem was that Windows Services for NFS was on this system and seemed to be using some ports. I removed this feature and rebooted the server.

The "Veeam vPower NFS Service" shows as running, with no apparent errors in the Windows APP and SYS logs.

My netstat relevant entries look as such:

Code: Select all

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
  TCP    0.0.0.0:111            0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
 [VeeamNFSSvc.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:135            0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
  RpcSs
   TCP    0.0.0.0:1059           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
 [VeeamNFSSvc.exe]
   TCP    0.0.0.0:6161           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
 [VeeamNFSSvc.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:6162           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
 [VeeamTransportSvc.exe]
 UDP    0.0.0.0:111            *:*                    
 [VeeamNFSSvc.exe]
  UDP    0.0.0.0:1059           *:*                    
 [VeeamNFSSvc.exe]
  UDP    0.0.0.0:2050           *:*                    
 [VeeamNFSSvc.exe]
The registry for the service looks as such:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Veeam\Veeam NFS]
"MountPort"=dword:00000427
"NfsPort"=dword:00000802
"RootFolder"="C:\\Veeam\\Backup\\NfsDatastore"
"AsyncTcp"=dword:00000000
"Port"=dword:00001811

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Veeam\Veeam NFS\Dynamic mounts]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Veeam\Veeam NFS\ItemsCache]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Veeam\Veeam NFS\Shared Folders]
Since the mount fails from the ESX host, I went to a linux host to verify that the NFS was even being shared. I got the below error:

[root@router mnt]# showmount -e 10.10.10.200
mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered
Firewall is disabled on the vSphere/Veeam box, no hardware firewall in place.
The ESX host has another NFS share mounted to a Windows 2012 NFS server, so I know that it can properly mount NFS.

Please advise.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam NFS on version 7

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ben,

What is the error message you have when you try to mount Veeam NFS datastore to the ESXi host automatically via Instant VM recovery feature or through this procedure?

Thank you!
bhendin
Influencer

Post by bhendin »

"Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateNasDatastore" for object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESXi "10.10.10.10" failed.
NFS mount 10.10.10.200:/VeeamBackup_HOMEBASE failed: The mount request was denied by the NFS server. Check that the export exists and that the client is permitted to mount it.
An unknown error has occurred."

I would assume that your NFS components function as a standard NFS server in terms of protocols (otherwise the ESX host would have no ability to understand how to be a client to it...)?

If that is the case, isn't the quickest way to troubleshoot this would be to "showmount" from another unix system to verify the existence of the mount?

As a showmount returns the rpc error as shown, it would appear that the service is not properly initializing and sharing out the folder via NFS.

BTW, when I initially posted this, my ESX host and vSphere were 5.1. I have since upgraded them to 5.5.
I have also uninstalled and fully installed Veeam as I did a fresh vCenter install.
So, in effect I have gotten the same errors on two different sets of systems and versions.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ben, kindly please avoid posting logs on this forum in future as it is requested by our forum rules.

As to the NFS Server issues, can you please try to remove the default repository (the repository located on this Windows Server) and then install it once again. This procedure should re-initialize vPower NFS server, might do the trick. If this doesn't help, then I would suggest contacting our technical team for further assistance.
bhendin wrote:BTW, when I initially posted this, my ESX host and vSphere were 5.1. I have since upgraded them to 5.5.
BTW, please be aware that vSphere 5.5 is not supported yet.
bhendin
Influencer

Post by bhendin »

I didn't post log files, I posted snippets of log files. How is that any different than the posting of the other information above which is the same type of info posted by others having these issues?
How can one accurately discuss the issue without looking at all the data?
I think this is the first and only forum I've been on which has some rule against posting log data.

Additionally, the default repository cannot be removed as it is the only repository. However I did disable the NFS server and then re-enable it, which caused the MSI to reinstall.
There were no changes.

But, seeing how vSphere 5.5 is unsupported, I will be looking at another solution that is able to support the core vendors latest release.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

bhendin wrote:How can one accurately discuss the issue without looking at all the data? I think this is the first and only forum I've been on which has some rule against posting log data.
Yes, you're correct, this is not a technical support forum and there rules for posting technical issues that every member should follow. Team behind these forums is not involved in technical support (cannot read logs), that is why I suggested to open a support case as the quickest and the most efficient way to address your issue. Hope this makes sense.