Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Surebackup fails on testing the domain controller

Post by VladV »

Case ID: 00459425

I have some issues with surebackup when testing our Domain Controllers and I believe they started when we upgraded to v7.

The issue:

When booting the DC with surebackup I can see the countdown 30s to normal start, then the machine starts loading file as it does in safe mode, the a screen appears informing that it is booting in safe mode - Directory Services restore mode, and immediately I get the login window.

If I let it be, nothing happens and it fails testing the scripts. If I try to login I cannot saying that no logon servers ar available.

When it works, I see the countdown scree, and then it boots normally. After a while it restarts and boots for a second time.

This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I have to create another restore point by running the backup job again even though I get no warnings when the backup completes. Also, it sometimes happens to the second DC.

I am using VSS aware backup, and I am backing up the DCs one at a time (3 DCs 2008 R2, only 2 are backed up).

Has anyone experienced this are can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Vlad
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Surebackup fails on testing the domain controller

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Vlad,

Quick search on our forums didn't return any topics that could be somehow related to your issue. Is it a random issue or it confirms constantly with particular restore points?

To troubleshoot this issue, we need to understand what is the difference between successful verification and failed ones. Our support team should nail it down by comparing SureBackup job log files from both sessions.

Thank you!
VladV
Expert

Post by VladV »

From my testing I concluded that the failure is specific to a certain restore point, so testing that restore point will always result in failure. Creating a new one may, or may not result in a successful surebackup job.

I uploaded the file from the failed surebackup session.

Regards,
Vlad
VladV
Expert

Post by VladV »

For example:

On Saturday night, I had both DCs backed up full (not synthetic), I ran surebackup two times and it failed. Today I ran the incremental, ran surebackup and it passed. Weird.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are there any errors in the Event Log of these servers dated on Saturday? Thanks.
VladV
Expert

Post by VladV »

No, not a single one.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

This is pretty old but I am having the same problem in a surebackup job. Any new information?

I found this http://www.veeam.com/kb1277

But this is hardly a solution for a surebackup job...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

OP was provided with the private fix that seemed to address the issue. Please contact support directly to confirm whether you're actually experiencing similar issue and get the hotfix.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

Hi guys, I'm having the same issue. I've opened the Case # 00578747

Veeam 7.0 Patch 4 didn't help in my environment: Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller start in DSRM mode but then don't reboot to normal state

Cheers,
Marco
uweiss
Novice
Liked: never

Post by uweiss »

Marco, any news from support? Same problem here. Doesn't reboot in normal mode itself.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner

Post by m.novelli »

uweiss wrote:Marco, any news from support? Same problem here. Doesn't reboot in normal mode itself.
Yes, the support told me to unflag "Domain Controller" role on the properties of this VM, leaving only "DNS" and "Global Catalog", then manually add the check for "Domain Controller" in advanced properties.

In this way the VM don't boot in DSRM mode and SureBackup job complete successfully

Marco
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This might not be ideal for environments with more than one domain controller (if starting more than one DC in SureBackup job), as DC preparation procedures will be skipped in this case.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner

Post by m.novelli »

foggy wrote:This might not be ideal for environments with more than one domain controller (if starting more than one DC in SureBackup job), as DC preparation procedures will be skipped in this case.
In my Application Group I have two DC and one SQL Server. The application group seems to works fine, ping and application test performed by SureBackup are successful, but I've not checked deeper the functionality of those DC when powered-on by SureBackup

Marco