Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bstraz
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian

Failed backup

Post by bstraz »

I'm running a demo of VEEAM 4 and receive an error each time I try to back up a particular VM. VEEAM is running as a VM using the VM method for backup. It works fine for my other VMs.

5 of 8 files processed

Total VM size: 581.00 GB
Processed size: 13.42 KB
Processing rate: 0 KB/s
Backup mode: HOTADD without changed block tracking
Start time: 11/16/2009 9:12:52 AM
End time: 11/16/2009 9:16:53 AM
Duration: 0:04:01

Enabling changed block tracking...
Changed block tracking cannot be enabled: virtual hardware version 7 or later required.

Backing up file "[r5san-a3] ch-data2/ch-data2-flat.vmdk"
BackupDisk failed
Client error: The specified transports are not available. Available transports: [nbd]. Specified transports: [hotadd]. VMDK path: [[r5san-a3] ch-data2/ch-data2.vmdk].

Server error: End of file
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Failed backup

Post by Gostev »

Virtual Applicance mode cannot be used for this VM... one of the reason is that ESX where Veeam Backup VM runs does not "see" [r5san-a3] storage. Possibly other reasons too, cannot say much without having full job logs...

By the way, backup of this VM will work if you switch the job to vStorage API "Network" mode, but of course this would be much slower.
cmoberly
Novice
Full Name: Chris M

Post by cmoberly »

The documentation on the vStorage API Virtual Appliance mode for Veeam is fairly brief- I had a quick question if anyone knows the answer. Here is the scenario:

- esxsyd02.myco.com: vSphere 4.0 with iSCSI storage. Hosts Veeam Backup 4.0 on "VeeamBU" and a desktop on "VeeamXP". Both VMs reside in the same iSCSI datastore (iSCSI-SAS-RAID5) which is definitely accessible from esxsyd02.
- esxsyd03.myco.com: vSphere 4.0 with local storage.

This is over a flat Ethernet network. Both ESX hosts are licensed with Enterprise Plus. I would like to get this mode working so that I can pitch it to some customers who will be replicating between machines with local storage only.

Should I be able to replicate VeeamXP from ESX01 to ESX02 using the Virtual Appliance mode? It seems to me that this should fit within the supported config as ESX01 can access both the Veeam appliance and the machine to be replicated, but my test environment is a little quirky and I am running into some issues similar to the poster above. I will post the output of a test replication below.

I am able to successfully do a network-only replication.

Thank you!

-Chris

---------
4 of 5 files processed

Total VM size: 5.00 GB
Processed size: 15.28 KB
Processing rate: 0 KB/s
Backup mode: HOTADD with changed block tracking
Start time: 11/19/2009 3:54:46 PM
End time: 11/19/2009 3:55:54 PM
Duration: 0:01:07

Replicating file "[iSCSI-SAS-RAID5] VeeamXP/VeeamXP-flat.vmdk"
BackupDisk failed
Client error: The specified transports are not available. Available transports: [nbd]. Specified transports: [hotadd]. VMDK path: [[iSCSI-SAS-RAID5] VeeamXP/VeeamXP.vmdk].

Server error: The specified transports are not available. Available transports: [nbd]. Specified transports: [hotadd]. VMDK path: [[iSCSI-SAS-RAID5] VeeamXP/VeeamXP.vmdk].
Failed to process VM disk backup. VMDK path: [vddk://<vddkConnSpec><viConn name="esxsyd02.myco.com" authdPort="902" vicPort="443" /><vmxPath vmRef="2480" datacenterRef="ha-datacenter" datacenterInventoryPath="ha-datacenter" snapshotRef="2480-snapshot-3" datastoreName="iSCSI-SAS-RAID5" path="VeeamXP/VeeamXP.vmx" /><vmdkPath datastoreName="iSCSI-SAS-RAID5" path="VeeamXP/VeeamXP.vmdk" /><transports seq="hotadd" /><readBuffer size="2097152" /></vddkConnSpec>].
-----------------
-Chris
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Chris, yes this should work in your scenario, absolutely. Please send the job's logs to support@veeam.com, we should be able to see from the logs what is causing hotadd transport mode not being available. I am pretty sure I heard about couple of things that may prevent hotadd from working which are easy to fix, but I don't remember what are they. I would appreciate if you could update this thread with the resolution once you have this resolved. Or let me know your support case number so that I could track it.
cmoberly
Novice

Post by cmoberly »

Thank you, I am emailing the logs to support now.
-Chris
cmoberly
Novice

Post by cmoberly »

Ticket number: 516254
-Chris
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Just to update this thread with the resolution, the issue was caused due to processed VM using IDE virtual disks. Processing of IDE virtual disks is supported in network backup modes only.
antivir
Enthusiast
Full Name: Andrew

Post by antivir »

Hello.
this problem resolved?
There is nbd transport available for iscsi only. VA methos does not work
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Virtual Appliance mode works using the "iSCSI Hot Add" feature of the ESX server, so it cannot support IDE disks by definition. This is not something that can be solved unless VMware adds "IDE Hot Add" feature ;) which is extremely unlikely.

Why are you using IDE disks for you virtual machines?
antivir
Enthusiast
Full Name: Andrew

Post by antivir »

Yes, you are right, the problem is IDE disk. It is Win XP VM.
Thank you.
cmoberly
Novice

Post by cmoberly »

Thank you, that would explain it! This was merely a test setup, the actual customer deployment will be using SCSI.
-Chris
TimFerguson
Lurker
Full Name: Tim Ferguson

Post by TimFerguson »

Is there a way to setup failover so that VM's that have ide will failback to NBD? We want to backup our environment as a whole but delegate permissions to departments to manage their own vm's/guests.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, this should happen automatically in v5.