Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
tvas
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tony Vas

VMware & Tape

Post by tvas »

I am new to Veeam.
I have a small client currently running on a single Win 2003 Server.
They are using BackupExec 12 to tape.
They want to keep the tape drive (LTO4).
I am about to replace their physical server and move to a VM Ware Virtual Server 5.1

I am planning on:
- a Primary Win 2012 DC/DNS/DHCP/File
- a Secondary Win 2012 DC/DNS/Print/Fax/WSUS/AV/Veeam Backup
- a Member Win 2003 LOB App server

My questions are these:
1. Is it a good idea to install Veeam on the same Windows Server that runs as a DC/DNS/Print & WSUS server? (Should I remove the DC/DNS roles?)
2. The Secondary DC & Veeam Server (all 3 components: Server, Proxy and storage). Will Veeam see the tape drive?
Tape drive will be physically attached to the VM Ware Host: HP ML350 Gen 8, HP SAS HBA & HP External SAS LTO4.
3. Will the Veeam Server backup itself properly as it is the Secondary DC?
4. How much CPU and RAM will be enough? I was figuring on 2 Sockets, 2 Cores & 8GB.
5. Would it make more sense to add a Physical Win 7 workstation to run Veeam Server?

Any input would be appreciated.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VMWare & Tape

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Tony,

1. Installing everything into a single server generally is not a good idea, because the load produced by every application (WSUS, Veeam proxy server, SQL Server, etc.) will affect the overall server performance in a negative way. Separating DC and DNS roles shouldn't make much difference.
2. Yes, it will be able to see the tape drive, however if you're going to use pass-through capabilities, then it will not be possible to migrate this VM. There is another preferred way to expose your tape device to the backup server. See this topic for further reading > Veeam on vSphere vm > backing up disk to tape via iSCSI
3. Yes.
4. Please see our system requirements for each backup component in this document > http://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_7_0_r ... tes_rn.pdf
5. Using a dedicated machine for a backup server is, indeed, a good idea, so if I were you I would go this way for sure. With physical backup server you will be able to connect your tape device directly to the server, without using any workarounds and tricks that I have mentioned above.

Let me know if that helps!
tvas
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tony Vas

Post by tvas »

Vitaliy,

In order to maintain a long term supportable solution we are opting for the standalone Win 7 PC for backups.
We have fought BackupExec tape backups for many years and now that we are going virtual I just don't want to think of BE to Tape anymore.
If only I could go completely disk to disk with offsite replication....(insert dreamy sound and harps playing)

Thanks for the info.

Tony.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Tony.
If only I could go completely disk to disk with offsite replication
Could elaborate on this a little bit? I'm asking since every mentioned task can be nowadays done via Veeam: Disk-to-Disk (ordinary backup jobs) -> off-site data replication (backup copy jobs).

Thanks.