Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dgatta
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Davide Gatta

performance (very very slow speed) and 99%

Post by dgatta »

Hello Sirs.
one customer was experiencing very very slow performance: global processing rate is at 6Mb/sec.
backup proxy transport mode is virtual appliance,
veeam essentlias standard is intaslled on a virtual Windows 2003 X64 machine and repository is a Buffalo therastation, linked via iSCSI to the virtual backup server (backup repository is drive E:\)
jumboframe is enabled in network infrastructure.

Backup job are scheduled daily with and are reverse incremental .
these backup has very slow performance (read at less than10 MB/sec as speed)
Since a couple of day, it does not end correctly because on a machine it remains at 99%.
investigating in statistic for the job one can see in the problematic virtual machine (with two hard disk) that one disk stay for hours at "59,9 GB read at 5 MB/sec" (Hard disk is 60GB)
Job stay in this status for hours and cannot be terminated without restarting the whole backup server

any idea?
Performance are very slow but can be ok because backup end in not-workin time.
but what about the job at 99%?

thanks for your time
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: performance (very very slow speed) and 99%

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Davide,
dgatta wrote:these backup has very slow performance (read at less than10 MB/sec as speed)
What does bottleneck stats show for this backup job?
dgatta wrote:but what about the job at 99%?
It's hard to say why the job stuck at 99% without seeing full debug log files, so please contact our technical team for assistance with job log review.

Thank you!
dgatta
Influencer

Post by dgatta »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Davide,
What does bottleneck stats show for this backup job?

It's hard to say why the job stuck at 99% without seeing full debug log files, so please contact our technical team for assistance with job log review.

Thank you!
Bottleneck = target
I will try to open a ticket for this, but with another account (the customer one)

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

“Target” bottleneck refers to disk writer component that, in your case, seems to spent most of its time performing I/O to backup files. In order to increase backup performance you might want to switch to forward incremental mode as it’s more storage-friendly than reversed incremental one.

Thanks.
dgatta
Influencer

Post by dgatta »

Vladimir

I have another job that use "forward Incremental" and performance are similar (always lower than 10Mb/sec).
I use this job as nackup on secondary Thecus NAS in another site for redundancy, but when I run full backup it takes too much time (more than a day)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, it seems that a given device can’t handle backup load any better. However, the issue with backup jobs being stuck on 99 percent still needs further investigation. So, opening a ticket is, indeed, the best way to go.

Thanks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Have you checked vCenter console? It happens many times a job is "stuck" at 99% because there is a snapshot removal that takes quite some time.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

Check target has battery-backed write cache, and that write-back caching is enabled...
dgatta
Influencer

Post by dgatta »

Luca, in vCenter no snapshot removal.
after forcing the job to stop according KB article (http://www.veeam.com/kb1727), if I restart job the VM stay in pending status, so I decided to reset backup and recreate it.

I do not think is a NAS issue because the second NAS is in a network where Switch are 100Mb/s and performances are the same (iSCSI NAS is on 1 GB network with jumboframe enabled, SMB NAS is in 100 Mb network and both perfrom at 6 or 7 MB/sec)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As mentioned, it seems that given devices can't cope any better with the load put on them by the backup activities, since both appliances show approximately the same speed.

As to the stuck jobs issue, then, only logs will certainly tell what is going on wrong in your environment.

Thanks.
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

If I'm following correctly, the storage analysis serves only to confirm that physical disk IO (rather than network) is absolutely the issue here.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Also, to add to others, I had "horrible" performance issues with Buffalo storage models: is not about the disks you put into, is the internal controller and the software that often cannot cope with the I/O Veeam is able to put onto it, almost regardless the type of backup (reversed or forward). On those kind of storage sadly there are really almost no viable optimizations, being them write-back cache or the like...

And all of this, regardless spot problems like the stuck at 99% or other that could appear.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1