Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Martin9700
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Martin Pugh

Backup to Removable Disk

Post by Martin9700 »

First off, sorry if this has been gone over before. I did try to search for it and while I got a lot of hits nothing really answered my questions.

I'm looking to replace my disk to disk to tape (the to tape part is currently being handled by BE 2010) system with an all disk solution using removal disks. Specifically, how does Veeam handle removable disks?

I'm assuming I'd have 2 or 3 disks (depending on backup size) to just hold the full backup (I like reverse incrementals) and then do a copy disk function to put a copy of the vbk file over to another disk that I could then remove and archive (either in a fire proof safe or offsite). Is this a reasonable solution or am I seriously missing anything?
Martin
www.thesurlyadmin.com
@thesurlyadm1n
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup to Removable Disk

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Martin, so just to fully understand your scenario, do you want to have a single full restore point on some persistent storage and then have it copied to a rotated disk that will be stored offsite? You can use reversed incremental backup mode, which is designed to maintain a single full backup on disk no matter of retention policy (however, I do not recommend to set retention to 1, as it could potentially result in situations where you find yourself with no valid restore point available) and then use backup copy job to copy the backup to rotated storage.
Martin9700
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Martin Pugh

Post by Martin9700 »

OK, thanks foggy. That...errr... cleared it up (I'm just kidding, you're name inspired me)

Just read about the backup copy job and that seems like an excellent solution for me. Thanks!
Martin
www.thesurlyadmin.com
@thesurlyadm1n
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Glad I could help. Feel free to ask any additional questions, if required.
yizhar
Service Provider
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Yizhar Hurwitz

Post by yizhar »

Hi.

Please make sure that the primary daily backup is stored on local SATA (or faster) disk, not on USB.

Yizhar
tscott
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Scott

Post by tscott »

I want to do something similar for a customer.. They have backups going to a local NAS and don't have the bandwidth to do replicas to a DR site..

Until we get the bandwidth in place they want something for offsite.. It was suggested using 2-3 USB drives.. I setup a backup copy job and pointed it to a USB drive and it worked the first day, but when he put the second one in (which had no Veeam files on it) it failed..

What do I need to do to accomplish this?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Tom, you need to follow instructions provided here. Thanks.