Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
defrogger
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Yesko

How to setup Backup Copy Job Target

Post by defrogger »

Hello, im new to the Backup Copy Job. We have a client that we just setup Veeam 7 standard (for now no WAN Accelerator) for using VMware. Ide like to use the Backup Copy Job for offsite protection for just two VM's.

Im having trouble finding info on setting up the Target. Lets say I had a simple CIFS share at the remote location with plenty of space. What next?

Do I need a VPN Tunnel between the clients site and the Remote site for security concerns? Is that the best way to access the remote target?

Do I need to install something at the remote site for Veeam to see the Cifs share?

Thanks
Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: How to setup Backup Copy Job Target

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello Mike,

Yes, you need a VPN tunnel.

With CIFS target, you will definitely want a proxying Windows server in the target site for best performance. Check out the User Guide for how you set up CIFS-based backup repository, it is pretty straight forward.

Thanks!
Anton
defrogger
Influencer

Post by defrogger »

Thanks, got it setup on on Thursday and it seems to be working. The size of the local vs the remote target is way off so I have to figure that out now. The local is about 80 gigs and the remote target is so far only 36 gigs. So im assuming it hasn't finished copying things over yet but everything says it was successful. Anyway, that's another problem, ill look into

Thanks
Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Mike, do you see all VMs copied to the offsite location? You can check that via backup console -> Backups -> Disk -> Backup Copy Job Name.
defrogger
Influencer

Post by defrogger »

So I checked under backup - disk, One thing I noticed is that the Local Backups currently have 4 restore points, the Backup Copy jobs only 3. So out of curiosity I tried to do a restore of guest files on each vm, and two of them don't have the option for the Fulls yet, they only have the incremental. So im assuming it hasn't finished syncing the Fulls yet.

How do I tell the status of a vm's backup copy status to see where its at in syncing?
defrogger
Influencer

Post by defrogger »

I apologize as im still new to Veeam.
So if I right click the Backup Copy Job I see report, so I did that. It gives the report of the last 4 days. The first day it has a couple warnings stating that the initial copy did not complete and will resume on the next copy interval.
The next day its all green and says Success and processed.
One thing that's still weird is that if I goto to restore guest files or restore the entire vm, On one VM it only lists 3 incrementals to restore from. On the others its 3 incrementals and one full.

So im wondering does that mean it never finished syncing the Full on the one VM?
Hopefully that made sense
Thanks
RobPerry88
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rob Perry

Post by RobPerry88 »

I'm interested in an answer on this issue too, it seems very basic on knowing whether there's a full replication at the other end and if I can get it to forcibly sync everything.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

defrogger wrote: So im wondering does that mean it never finished syncing the Full on the one VM?
Hi, Mike,

Actually, Veeam Backup Copy Job doesn’t copy backup files as the whole, instead, it synthetically creates required restore points in remote location from VM data in source backup repositories.

Also, backup copy job is forever incremental. That being said, after initial run it copies only changes. However, during initial run, it should always create a full restore point.

So, if you don’t see this, kindly, open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate it directly.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

RobPerry88 wrote:if I can get it to forcibly sync everything.
If you want to start the synchronization process immediately, you can right-click on backup copy job and select Sync Now option. Thanks.
RobPerry88
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rob Perry

Post by RobPerry88 »

What would Veeam do if the Backup Job Job fails to finish in time, will it continue on from where it left off next time round or would it skip the last failed and start the new?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Backup copy job will start where it left off, copying previous data, plus, changes. Thanks.
defrogger
Influencer

Post by defrogger » 1 person likes this post

So what I did is removed the VM from the backup copy job, deleted it from the repository. Then added it back. The job is currently going and we will see what happens. I did this because when I hit Sync Now, all three VM's come up saying they have already been processed. So im guessing there was an issue getting the first full on that vm. The good thing is these VM's aren't in production yet. So I figured it was easiest to just start over with that VM.

If its a no go, then ill open a support ticket. Thanks Everyone for there help. Ill let you know what happens

Mike
defrogger
Influencer

Post by defrogger »

So that seemed to do it, it finished copying and I now have a Full for that VM.

Thanks everyone
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Mike, glad to hear that you’ve nailed it. And thank you for coming back and sharing your findings; much appreciated.