Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
nmace
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Removing LUN from vCenter

Post by nmace »

I'm in the process of decomissioning a SAN on our vSphere 5.1 cluster that is monitored via Veeam One 7.0. I followed the steps in this kb article http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=2004605 and I have set the volume "offline". The hosts as represented in vCenter are fine and in a good state. The volume no longer shows up as unmounted/detached since I did a storage rescan on all of the hosts. However I'm still getting the following alerts in Veeam One:

Event description: Lost path redundancy to storage device naa.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Path is down.

The hosts seem to be happy, but how do I get Veeam One to resolve the alert? I'd prefer to not have to right-click and manually resolve the problem, I'd like to fix whatever it is that is causing Veeam One to alert on this.

On 2 of the hosts, I SSH'd in and permanently decommissioned the LUN (per the steps in the kb article). That made no difference in Veeam One. Any ideas?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Removing LUN from vCenter

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Can you please open alarm configuration and check if you see events that should resolve the alarm in the events tab of the ESXi host in question? Do you see these LUNs still present in Veeam ONE topology on the right pane?

Thank you!
nmace
Enthusiast

Post by nmace »

The datastore is no longer present in Veeam One's console. I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the alarm itself. I don't see anything related to when it should consider itself resolved.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I just wanted to check if you see these or similar events that should resolve this alarm automatically - esx.clear.net.redundancy.restored and esx.clear.net.redundancy.*****? If not, then it seems like either vCenter Server didn't send it or there should be another event resolving this alarm. I will ask our QC team to take a closer look at this situation.
nmace
Enthusiast

Post by nmace »

Any news? I've got a second array I need to remove and if there is a step I missed on the first one I'd like to do it right on this one.

~24 hours later, the errors are still showing up in Veeam One.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please tell me if you see the events from my previous post on the vCenter Server Events & Tasks tab?

You can safely proceed with removing your second array, because this is an event driven alarm, and if there is no event resolving this alarm captured (we are trying to verify it), you can resolve this alarm manually.
nmace
Enthusiast

Post by nmace »

Sorry Vitaliy. I do not see those events.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just a quick update from our QC team - since you have removed these LUNs from VI completely, vCenter Server will never send the event about restoring connection to these LUNs (event that should resolve this alarm), thus you should resolve this alarm manually. Hope this helps!
nmace
Enthusiast

Post by nmace »

Yes, it does! Thanks!