Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Veeam 7 data corruption

Post by frankive »

Hi.
I talked to an backup company and asked them to update our Veeam 6.5 to Veeam 7. They said they could do that but insisted on install a patch 1 once they had installed it. They said that during testing they have found out that it is a bug in the v7 (without patch1) that could possibly delete files from the backup.
I also have a datacenter with Veeam 7 (just installed patch 1).
Are there any chance that some of my VM data could be corrupted? Should i run an Full Active backup instead of my forever incremental just to be sure? Tested a few vm and they all boot, but I havent had the chance to test all...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam 7 data corruption

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Frank,

No, I don't think so, as the problem in question is related to "Deleted VMs" retention policy settings:
frankive wrote:• Deleted VM retention option is now disabled by default for the newly created jobs, and its logic has been enhanced to better handle job failures.
This does not lead to backup files corruption, so there is no need to run active full backups.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam 7 data corruption

Post by veremin »

Anyway, the best way to guarantee that there is no backup data corruption is to run regularly Surebackup Jobs that automatically verify the recoverability of backup files. Thanks.