Management reporting and documentation
brupnick
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Rupnick

Email Report Only if Data Exists

Post by brupnick »

Good afternoon-

Is it possible in v7 to schedule a report in such a way that it will only be generated and emailed if data exists? For example, I'd like to schedule the snapshot report so that I can get an email every morning of the snapshots that exist in our environment. However, I don't want to receive a blank report indicating that no snapshots exist.

Thank you!
Brian
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Email Report Only if Data Exists

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Brian,

That's currently not possible, but thanks for the feedback. On the other hand, I believe this behavior might lead to some confusion when people would expect to receive a report even with no data available just to make sure everything works. If you want to be notified about snapshots, you can configure alarm notification that would be fired only if you have snapshots.

Thanks!
stingray75
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Matthew Ray

Post by stingray75 »

We have the same requirement here too, as one of our daily checks is to check for snapshots. It would be good if Reporter could still send the report, but state in the email body that the report is empty, or say no records found or something. Then we know the report is working so there would be no confusion.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for sharing your use case. Should this be only for snapshot report? What about using snapshot alarms?

Thanks!
stingray75
Enthusiast

Post by stingray75 »

Ideally I'd like the ability to set this option on any report, as we're starting to send reports to operators so they can perform morning/afternoon checks on the environment. We may give them access to Monitor so they can look for alarms, but we like to have a single report rather than many alarms, and for auditing purposes.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Not sure that this option will work for any report, for example for performance reports it is not applicable as well as configuration overview report. Looks like it may only be applied for optimization reports, such as over/under sized VMs, snapshots etc.
stingray75
Enthusiast

Post by stingray75 »

Yes, that makes sense. Also it would be good for custom reports, as I have a custom report which lists VMs with memory limits set.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, let me verify this idea with our dev team.