Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
DonBalmer
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Don Balmer

DR What if

Post by DonBalmer »

If I have Veeam on my primary site using an offsite 'Repository' at a secondary site I can see how to import backups into the remote VBR console to facilitate and total loss recovery of my primary site.
What about any replicated Hyper-V virtual machines? The documentation details how to set the failover state of the replicant using the primary console - what if that's lost.
I know this is 'simply' a Hyper-V replica from the Hyper-V Manager console and so probably could simply use the Hyper-V manager console to manually failover the Virtual.
The documentation says to avoid doing this and normally I don't suppose you would but in a DR level event do you have any other choice?

Sorry if this has been answered but I got quite a few hits when searching for Disaster recovery, can't imaging why :roll:
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: DR What if

Post by foggy »

Don, you can either have a separate Veeam B&R console responsible for replication jobs to be able to failover in case of DR (which is a good practice) or just turn the replica VMs on manually. Note that in the latest case you lose the ability to failback automatically, use re-IP during failover, etc.
DonBalmer
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Don Balmer

Post by DonBalmer »

Of course, makes perfect sense. I've split the job and can see a clear DR path - very nice.

Thankyou
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You're welcome. Feel free to ask any additional questions, if required.