Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wisecra
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Craig Wiseman

Veeam Replication just hangs when it gets to the VMDKs

Post by wisecra »

Running Veeam B&R 3.1.1.2. [upgrading to v4 is not an option yet, as we're using free ESXi 3 as our remote disaster recovery host and have to budget on licensing it - thanks Veeam/VMWare 8-) .]

When trying to do a replication to a remote ESX box, any job starts and replicates all the small VMware files, but it hangs when it gets to the first VMDK file.

I've bounced all the servers involved, and can do large file transfers to the target ESX box.

Also, if I tell the replication jobs to "stop", they never do - I have to reboot the Veeam backup server to get them to stop.

I'm not sure where to start looking for answers, and so would appreciate any help!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Veeam Replication just hangs when it gets to the VMDKs

Post by Gostev »

Craig, you can use Veeam Backup 4.0 with free ESXi 3.5... as a customer who purchased Veeam Backup before free ESXi support was discontinued, you are eligible for special license that adds support for free ESXi 3.5 processing. Please contact your sales representative to obtain the special license key for v4.

Please note that free ESXi 4.0 is not supported even with the special license key, there is hard coded ESXi version check preventing this.

If you would like to troubleshoot your issue, please contact our support with job's log files so that we could see what is happening with our agent.
wisecra
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Craig Wiseman

Post by wisecra »

Thanks for the lightening-fast response - that's great news about being 'grandfathered' in to v4.

I will call support about the specific issue. The logs show that the Veeam server is waiting for a response from the remote ESX server and not getting it.
I'm been playing with it, and it appears to be network packet size related. Bigger packets are dropped. I'm trying to fix the network issues, but that may not be fixable (it's a VPN connection).
I'll have to see if there's a way to force it to use smaller packets.

Again, thanks!!!!!!!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Oh, if this is VPN, then I remember one helpful thread here :wink:

Terrific troubleshooting effort, and total success in the end!
Problems with making replication work across a WAN/VPN?