Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
iamxCPx
Influencer
Liked: never

How to Force Backup Copy Job to run NOW?

Post by iamxCPx »

Hi guys,
I have Veeam version 7 running on VMware platform.
I have setup a Backup Copy Job to a backup repository which is an external USB drive. Now I need to test to make sure that it will work.
The problem that I'm having is that the Job just won't run.
The job reports stated as "No restore point found".
I tried the Sync Now button and it's doing the same thing.
The weird thing is that I have 4 Veeam Backup Jobs that run every night and they all ran successfully.
What restore points that this Backup Copy Job is looking for?
I'm very new to Veeam so any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
I opened a support case (Case #00462354) yesterday but the respond appears to be in slow motion so I thought the experts here would be able to help me.
I would like to do some testing this weekend.

Much appreciated.
Thanks In Advance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How to Force Backup Copy Job to run NOW?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

What value is configured for the "Copy every" setting for the backup copy job in question? Have you added your backup jobs or individual VMs to the backup copy job?

Thank you!
iamxCPx
Influencer

Post by iamxCPx »

It's Copy Every 7 Days because I would like to only copy Full Backup to an external drive once week and put it offsite.
Do I need to change that to every 1 day?

Yes, I did add my backup jobs to the backup copy job. It kept stated waiting for new restore points.
I did not use synthetic full. I use active full every Friday.
So when I ran it on last Thursday or Friday, shouldn't it picked up the restore points from the precious Friday of active full backup?

And also I wonder if this setting has anything to do with my issue, on the Backup Job, I use restore points to keep on disk is set to 180 days = 6 months. Will that might have cause this issue that I'm having?

I guess my goal is to be able to copy the full backup from our Exagrid appliance (holds backups for 6 months) to an external USB drive every weekend so on Monday I can take it offsite. If something happen, I can go back a week.
What would be the best way to accomplish that with Veeam?

Appreciate again your help. :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Basically, backup copy does not copy files but rather synthetically creates restore points in remote location from the changed blocks extracted from the source storage. And backup copy job is always incremental. I believe that to implement your scenario of having full backup on a weekly rotated external drive, you should consider this discussion.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Do I need to change that to every 1 day?
Backup copy job should work either way.
So when I ran it on last Thursday or Friday, shouldn't it picked up the restore points from the precious Friday of active full backup?
No, it shouldn’t. As mentioned above, it will create a required restore point in remote location from the latest backup data, using its special “synthetic” logic.
Will that might have cause this issue that I'm having?
No, it shouldn’t cause any issues.

Thanks.
iamxCPx
Influencer

Post by iamxCPx »

I believe that to implement your scenario of having full backup on a weekly rotated external drive, you should consider this discussion.
I did implement that registry based on http://www.veeam.com/KB1154 prior to posting in the forum. I guess there are more stuff needs to be done. I'm new to veeam so it will take me a little bit to figure it out what's in that discussion.
Or is there a KB for what I'm trying to do that I can follow or Veeam just wasn't designed for rotating a media so I'll just have to do the workaround based on that discussion.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Currently you should utilize the script discussed in the referred topic to implement the rotated drives scenario with the backup copy jobs. Thanks.