Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lsolty
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Instant Recovery Quick Migration

Post by lsolty »

Veeam Backup & Replication 6.5.0.144 (64-bit) on Windows Server 2012

Hello everybody!

I have a problem with Quick Migration, a feature of Instant Recovery.

From the Veeam Backup I start a "Instant Recovery" of a VM. The target ESXi Server is a test server, not the one the VM is hosted originally. The Instant Recovery runs fine, I can work with the VM.

In the next step, I want to move the VM from Instant Recovery to the target test server, as I do want to stop the Instant Recovery and continue using the VM (including the changes made so far inside the recovered VM). I choose the "migrate to production" option. In the "host or cluster" field I choose the test server. Datastore, resource pool and VM folder are chosen automatically and I do not change these values.

In the next step, I have to choose the source and the target proxy. In case of remote migrating between sites, it is recommended to deploy at least one backup proxy server in each site. This I do not fully understand and I think that my problem originates from these settings. What is meant by "source proxy" and "target proxy"? What is meant by "sites"? I have only one Backup Proxy, which is the Veeam Server itself.

If I leave the "Automatic Selection" for the source and the target proxy and go for the next step, Veeam checks for the possibility of migration. No error occurs so far. Nevertheless, the QuickMigration job will fail. I get these errors:

"Preparing error: timeout waiting for backup proxy servers to become available".
"Unable to allocate processing resources. No backup proxy is able to backup this VM".

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Instant Recovery Quick Migration

Post by veremin »

I’m wondering what number of concurrent tasks is specified in the settings of default proxy. Also, are there any backup activity that runs at the same time? Thanks.
lsolty
Novice

Post by lsolty »

Two concurrent tasks. No further activity at the moment, only the InstantRecovery Job is running. The backup jobs are scheduled for the night.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Can you specify additional task to this proxy and see whether it helps or not? Thanks.
lsolty
Novice

Post by lsolty »

v.Eremin wrote:Can you specify additional task to this proxy and see whether it helps or not? Thanks.
Adding additional task does not help. However, setting up a new proxy (on a different machine) and using it for the QuickMigration is a workaround. I could live with that, but I am still wondering, what is wrong with the local proxy...
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Only logs are likely to tell the reason, since everything at first glance looks fine. So, you might want to work with the support team on addressing this issue.

Thanks.