Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
nick3young
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Exchange Restore: Cannot Connect

Post by nick3young »

Hi,

I am trying to restore an email from Exchange using Veeam 7.0. I have tried both methods:

1. Using "Exchange Application Item Recovery"
Using this method, it all goes fine (it automatically detects the DC and mailbox server) but when asked for login credentials, it goes no further. After cancelling I get the error - "request failed with status 401: unauthorised"

2. Using "Veeam Explorer for Exchange"
It doesn't automatically detect the 'mailbox server (CAS)' (where I believe it should do) but even if I manually enter the correct details, after I click the 'restore' button it hangs for a while before giving this error - "remote server returned error: (503) Server Unavilable

Both point at a permissions issue. I am using our domain administrator account to perform both jobs which definitely has full access to all mailboxes in Exchange.

Thanks
Nick
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Exchange Restore: Cannot Connect

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Nick,

Can you please double-check that your domain account does have full access to user mailboxes, as by default it does not have it > How to restore a mailbox without needing the users password

Thanks!
nick3young
Enthusiast

Post by nick3young »

It definitely does yes, Vitaliy. I have gone into the mailbox in question (in Exchange 2010), clicked on the 'Manage Full Access Permission' and the domain admin account is listed in there. I can also open the users account in Outlook as the domain admin account.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for confirmation, in this case please contact our technical team for debug logs review and further investigation.
nick3young
Enthusiast

Post by nick3young »

I already had contacting Veeam support this morning. They didn't request any logs but did ask me to set up Exchange Impersonation as per the guide here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... .140).aspx

I have done that but it hasn't made any difference unfortunately. I have just made an interesting discovery though....

In Veeam Explorer for Exchange, if I enter 'administrator@domain.internal' as the mailbox and use 'administrator' as the connecting account... it works. This doesn't work for any other account though. For example, if I use my own personal account as the mailbox and my own personal for the connecting account... this doesn't work.

Any ideas on that? Thanks again.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, impersonation is required if you're using Exchange 2010, this was mentioned in the topic I've referenced above ;)

Usually this setting was everything you need to do to make it work, please continue working with our tech team on this.
nick3young
Enthusiast

Post by nick3young »

Yep, I noticed it in there - as I say though, it didn't fix it.

I think I may have solved it though.... but I'm not entirely happy!

I had been entering the server's local domain name when required but I actually needed to enter its public name (e.g. server.domain.internal instead of server.domain.co.uk). When I tried using the public name... it worked! But I don't understand why this is the case? Can you shed any light on this?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Nick, can you please try to connect to your Exchange server using this address - server.domain.internal/owa and server/owa? Does it work? Also can you please tell me if auto discovery option works for you or not as entering Exchange server address should not be required.
nick3young
Enthusiast

Post by nick3young »

Neither of those two options worked. The only one that works is server.domain.co.uk. It doesn't auto-discover unless I am restoring to the administrator mailbox.

Interestingly, when I right click on an email to restore, there are 2 options at the bottom: 'restore to...' and 'restore to mailbox@domain.co.uk'. If I click on the 2nd one, it just works no problem.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

nick3young wrote:Neither of those two options worked. The only one that works is server.domain.co.uk.
Well...this is the problem, seems your Exchange server can only be resolved by using this address - server.domain.co.uk, which explains the behavior you've seen while using Exchange Explorer.

You should re-configure your IIS website (web config) to be able to access your Exchange server via server.domain.internal, otherwise continue using your public name.
nick3young
Enthusiast

Post by nick3young »

Wonderful - thanks for your help.

Just out of interest... why does Veeam rely on IIS to locate your Exchange server? Seems a little odd? Obviously we don't use OWA internally and so have never made any internal configurations for it. Having said that, we can get to OWA by using http://server/owa
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Actually not at all ;), Veeam is using Exchange Web Services (recommended way) to access Exchange server, and since EWS settings are stored in the IIS, you should adjust these settings to make it work. Hope this makes sense!