Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frederickp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Frederick

Wan Accelerator and Backup Configuration

Post by frederickp »

I have many remote office sites that have a hyper a single Hyper V host and an HQ office that has VMware 5.1 and a B&R server ( 7.0 )

I need to backup a file server vm at each site and move the backup off to HQ over a 1Mb link, hence I wish to use the WAN accelerator feature. The question I have is should I use a single B&R server and Target WAN accelerator at HQ to mange the backups and backup copy job off site and only place the source WAN accelerator at the remote offices, or rather install B&R at each site and let each site control its backups and backup copy jobs.

The concern I have the first design is that if the WAN links go down down, the backups stop. Concerns over the second design is that HQ does not have any visibility over what what copy backup jobs are happening and this would complicate restores.

One more, If I setup the WAN accelerators from the target site, do I need to setup a pair at each site, or will will the next site be able to tell that when I add the previously configured target that is is an existing target WAN accelerator.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Wan Accelerator and Backup Configuration

Post by foggy »

Frederick, scenario with a single Veeam B&R management server seems to be enough in your case. Assign WAN accelerator role to the server in each site, the target WAN accelerator will be shared between all remote jobs (just keep in mind that there will be a separate cache for each WAN accelerator pair). Depending on the number of remote sites you would probably need to set up an additional accelerator in the target site to spread the I/O load.
frederickp
Novice

Post by frederickp »

Thanks, but I have to go for option 1 as client requires that the backups in the remote sites need to run independent of HQ. The links to the remote sites are unstable, so I'll have to see how things go.
frederickp
Novice

Post by frederickp »

Just wondering, when I setup the pair for each remote site ( going to use single target) can I add the same target at each site ? would it be required to specify a different VeeamWAN folder or will the target accelerator know to create a separate global cache folder ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can specify the same target WAN accelerator in all backup copy jobs, no need to do anything else.