Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
slewis1972
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Lewis

Veeam Essentials for Cloud vs Cloudberry separate?

Post by slewis1972 »

Hi All

We are currently trialing Veeam, and even though we have 3 hyper-v servers, we have one that most of the vm's are either run from or are replicated to (running Windows 2012 Hyper-v). We are also currently ditching tape backups and I am hence testing Cloudberry and uploading to the data we were putting on tape Amazon S3 and Glacier due to the cost and time saving.

So, my options with Veeam look like getting a 2 socket edition of Veeam Essentials (to look after the hyper-v server that has all the vm's on), plus am looking at their special offer to get 3 years of maintenance for 2. That way, the cost coincides with server warranties (new main vm server we are using has a 3 year warranty on from dell).

Anyway, I am pondering if I should get the cloud version though and pay a subscription. Veeam uses cloudberry app (which is not expensive anyway) but I am wondering the benefits. As we tend to backup primary data on the vm's to S3 with cloudberry, I was then thinking I use the same tool, to backup the vm's full into the cloud once a month once I have saved it locally. I though do a daily full with incrementals to a local NAS anyway. Plus I am also going to be replicating ALL the vm's to a new hyper-v server in another site to have a offsite copy aswell so I can reduce server downtime the best I can. We are currently only talking about 10+ VM's, which includes 3 x DC's, (soon to be fileserver once I replicate it) plus some odds and sods for dev etc. Most of the rest of our data is in o365 sharepoint.

The cost of Veema Essentials over 3 years plus buying Cloudberry Server std, is easily paid for due to the Backupexec yearly maintenance costs which we plan to ditch.

Thoughts?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Essentials for Cloud vs Cloudberry separate?

Post by foggy »

Scott, in fact solutions are not exactly the same, but have some essential differences. For example, Cloudberry originally was not designed to handle large (>10GB) backup files reliably. On the other hand, Veeam B&R Cloud Edition is not capable of tracking changes on the block level and will transfer the entire full .vbk file to the cloud each time (essential for reversed incremental backup mode). Probably this topic will be helpful in the process of making a decision.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additionally, in case of copying files produced by forward incremental backup job, both products will work quite similarly. Though, with the Cloud edition you will get additional integration (as the backup plan sessions will be reflected in the backup server), as well as, our technical support (if anything with copying backup process goes wrong).

Thanks.
slewis1972
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Lewis

Post by slewis1972 »

So, question, as Veeam is using a cloudberry product, would I actually need to buy cloudberry if I bought a subscription to the cloud version?>

Reason being, I downloded the trial version of veeam essentials cloud and just installed the cloud part, and it does also file backups to s3, glacier etc. so does not seem to be crippled to just vm backups. Is this true as maybe a cost saving aswell as a single support route?

Thanks

Scott
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, Veeam Cloud Edition allows you to copy files to cloud: be it a backup file or guest file.

However, in case of copying files to S3, Cloud Edition, in contrast to CloudBerry, can’t track changes on the block level. Whenever last modification timestamp changes, CE will copy the whole file, not just block level changes.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Actually, you can consider it can track block level changes now, because we are getting ready to release the v7 update for Cloud Edition in the coming days.