Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
xstevel
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve L

Replicate from earlier (older) to later (newer) ESXi version

Post by xstevel »

Hi All,

I have been unable find the answer to this question in the docs.

Is it possible to replicate from ESXi 4.1 to ESXi 5? If so, are there any issues that may arise?

Thanks
Steve
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replicate ESXi 4.1 to ESXi 5

Post by foggy »

Steve, just be sure your target host supports the virtual hardware version of the replicated VM. Thanks.
xstevel
Lurker
Full Name: Steve L

Post by xstevel »

Great, thank you.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

This would imply that you can replicate from ESXi4.1 to 5 but not the other way correct?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, you would still be able to replicate from vSphere 5 to 4.1 hosts. Just keep in mind that restore and replication of VMs between different ESX(i) versions requires that VM’s virtual hardware version is compatible with the target host.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

In other words:
1. You will NOT be able to replicate virtual hardware version 8 VMs from vSphere 5 to vSphere 4.1
2. You will be able to replicate virtual hardware version 7 or lower VMs from vSphere 5 to vSphere 4.1
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

got it - Thanks for clarifying!
gparker
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: George Parker

[MERGED] Different vSphere versions at each site

Post by gparker »

Hi,

I'm about the implement Veeam Backup and Replication v6 in our VMware environment. I will be using the Replication feature to replicate some VM's from my customer's Prod site to my DR site. I am running vSphere 5 in my DR site where I will be setting up the Veeam software and repository, but at this point in time I'm not sure what version of VMware my customer has.

I read up on the Veeam system requirements in both the release notes and the user guide, both of which state that v6 is compatible with VMware 3.5 and above, but neither document states whether or not the VMware versions need to be the same at both sites for the Replication feature to work properly. So is it a requirement that both sites run identical versions of VMware? And for that matter, do the VMware versions or the VMFS versions at both sites need to be identical if I want to use the v6 Backup feature to backup VM's from site A and restore them at site B?

Regards,
George.
nmace
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

[MERGED] Replicating Between Different Versions of vSphere

Post by nmace »

I've got a vSphere 4.1 cluster that we backup with Veeam 6.1. We're working on standing up a DR cluster that Veeam will replicate to. Can that cluster be 5.0U1? Can Veeam replicate a VM from a 4.1 cluster to a 5.0 cluster? Or do they have to be the same version on both sides? I know vSphere 5.1 is not supported until Veeam 6.5 comes out.
Aech
Novice

Post by Aech »

nmace...I have pretty much the same setup that I just got going. ESXi 4.1 at our primary datacentre, new setup at backup datacentre running ESXi 5.0. I can successfully replicate from primary to backup sites. Only problem I have is re-ip-ing which doesnt seem to work. Not yet sure if that is a Veeam problem, a VMWare problem or a Windows problem.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Aech wrote:Only problem I have is re-ip-ing which doesnt seem to work. Not yet sure if that is a Veeam problem, a VMWare problem or a Windows problem.
To find out the real culprit of the issue, please describe your setup and provide debug logs to our technical support team. I'm sure they are able to review your configuration and logs and reveal the reason of such behavior.

There are also a couple of existing topics regarding re-IP feature, just for better understanding:
Re-IP and Virtual NIC enabling
Re-ip at DR Site
MattG
Enthusiast
Full Name: MattG

[MERGED] Can Veeam 7 replicate/Quick Migrate vSphere 4.1 VMs

Post by MattG »

Can Veeam 7 replicate/Quick Migrate vSphere 4.1 VMs to a remote site running vSphere 5.1?

Is this the preferred tool to migrate VMs between datacenters?

-MattG
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/matthewgraci
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Matt, yes, Veeam B&R is able to replicate and migrate VMs between these vSphere versions, please review this thread for details.
jpoling
Novice

[MERGED] Replicas and ESX Versions

Post by jpoling »

I cannot find the answer to this in the user guide or documentation....for replication do the source and target host have to be running the same version of esx(i)? i.e., can I replicate a VM on an ESX 4.1 server to a host running ESXi 5.5?

Thanks,

Jeff
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Jeff, you can replicate between different host versions, given that VM virtual hardware version is compatible. Please see above for details. Thanks.
jpoling
Novice

Post by jpoling »

Thank you. My apologies for not digging far enough to find the forum post!
Fox54
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Veeam 7.x replication from ESX 4.1 to ESXi vSphere

Post by Fox54 »

Hi,

We are currently planning to upgrade to Veeam 7.x to support vSphere 5

We have still 2 vSphere 4.1 ESX server that runs VM that are on the old datastore format (VMFS3).
We want to replicate these VM on a new vSphere 5.5 ESXi host (VMware standard). The datastore format of the ESXi 5.5 host is VMFS3

Is this supported ??

If our datastore on the vSphere 5.5 was in VMFS5 format would it be also supported ??

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: Veeam 7.x replication from ESX 4.1 to ESXi vSphere 5.5

Post by foggy »

Yes, replicating to a higher vSphere version is fully supported (while replication to a lower version is supported only in cases where VM virtual hardware version is supported by the target host).
menced
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sim. Men.

[MERGED] Replication from server A to server B and server A

Post by menced »

Let's suppose I have a server running Esxi 4.1 and i replicate on a server running Esxi 5.1

I have read it is possible because othe compatibility problem is mainly due to the capability of the "receiving" server to run a virtual hardware version compatible.

Question number one is going from esxi 4.1 to 5.1 should give me problems? Is 5.1 ALWAYS able to run virtual hardware from lower versions? Is this a question only depending from esxi or from other factors (for example server hardware features)?

Question number two is: let's suppose i move my VMs from 4.1 to 5.1 and so they have virtual hardware made in 4.1. Will i be able to move them back to 4.1 or during the migration from 4.1 to 5.1 something has changed? Is it possible to move from 4.1 to 5.1 and then back to 4.1?

If i have not been clear, please tell me. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You're correct, it is a question of a VM virtual hardware version compatibility with the target host. Basically, if it supports the hardware version of the replicated VM, you're good to go. Since virtual hardware version does not change by itself and previous versions of virtual hardware are always supported by the newer host versions, you can safely replicate VMs up and then back down, if required.
jbrown
Lurker

[MERGED] Replication from vSphere 4.1 to 5.5

Post by jbrown »

Does anyone know if Veeam Replication supports replicating from vSphere 4.1 to vSphere 5.5? I'm researching potential methods of migrating a few TB from an older datacenter to a new datacenter (each is geographically distinct).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yes, you can. More information can be found in the answers provided above. Thanks.
skydok
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 12 times

[MERGED] Documnetation of Replication

Post by skydok »

I'm looking to Replicate a VM from vCenter 5.5 to vCenter 6.x
Except that the VM hardware version should be supported on both sides , is there any documentation of this type?

I'm trying to find refrence to these type of things but can't find.
Veeam FAN
@shatztal
Blog: http://www.terasky.com
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

A general rule of thumb for replicating between different host versions is that replication to a higher version is fully supported, while replication to a lower version is supported provided VM virtual hardware version is supported on both sides.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Also, prior to similar migrations it's worth checking "Platform Support" section of our User Guide and confirming whether both platform versions are supported. In your case, they are. Thanks.
heruts
Lurker
Full Name: santo

[MERGED] vmware esxi 6.7 to esxi 6.5 replication

Post by heruts »

Hi all,
I want to ask is it possible or no issue to replication virtual machine from source vmware esxi 6.7 to target esxi 6.5.

thank you for answer

Heru ts
veremin
Product Manager

Re: vmware esxi 6.7 to esxi 6.5 replication

Post by veremin »

It might work, as long as source VM virtual hardware version is supported by target host. But if I were you, I would probably update the target infrastructure first (before creating replication jobs). Thanks!