Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dreddaway
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Reddaway

Veeam VTL to DD2500

Post by dreddaway »

We have a Veeam BR 7 server connected via FC to our host, storage and DD2500 (DD has their VTL SW and Boost). We like to have the DD as our BU target and leverage the FC SAN. We understand that DD only supports FC as a VTL. Can we BU directly to the DD acting as a VTL or do we have to BU to disk first, then backup to VTL?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam VLT to DD2500

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi David, your backups have to go to disk first, and then to tape (VTL). Thanks!
dreddaway
Novice

Post by dreddaway »

So if I load up my Veeam BU server with direct attached storage, I can use it as target disk, then do a backup to tape job over FC to my DD2500 acting as VTL. Correct?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you need to create a repository on the direct attached storage, then use backup to tape jobs to transfer backups to VTL. Make sure the tape library drivers are installed and the device is visible in the Windows Device Manager.
dreddaway
Novice

Re: Veeam VTL to DD2500

Post by dreddaway »

Ok one last question - if we set up our DD external to the Veeam backup server with etherent and NFS or CIFS and use it as our primary target (no repository on the backup server)- and secondarily go to physical tape (not a DD device), will our primary DD target be sufficient as staging for the backup to tape?

Does Veeam prefer NFS or CIFS on the DD Primary respository?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Your tape device has to be connected to the backup server to be able to configure and run backup to tape jobs. As to NFS or CIFS question, then NFS is only possible if you mount it to the Linux box and then add it as a backup repository.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

dreddaway wrote:Will our primary DD target be sufficient as staging for the backup to tape?
I’d say such a deployment might result in decreased performance, since the data would have to be rehydrated before being written to tapes.

Anyway, you might want to test this scenario and see whether it answers you requirements or not.

Thanks.