Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Starman
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Todd Leavitt

Scenario question

Post by Starman »

Hello again gentlemen!

So I am in the middle of maint on several of my large NAS servers that run Server 2012. Besides defrag (gotta do it every so often and they were pretty bad with 20%+ fragmentation), I also re-enabled dedup (which I shut down some time ago after having massive DFS issues).

As expected, the variable on the next backup was 200+ gigs (as well as my array replications).

I am sure I know the answer but before I delete, I just want to make sure.

Since I use "reverse Incremental" I would like to just delete the incremental backup for that day. I need the space on my backup drive. My guess is that all that would not effect my backup nor full back up in any way and I could just continue on (that backup incremental would just be lost and I wouldn't be able to pick from it in the future).

Am I seeing this right?

Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Senario question

Post by foggy »

Todd, not only you would not be able to restore from that incremental if you delete it, but also from all previous rollback restore points (VRBs) that rely on the latest full backup (VBK), since all of them are dependent on the backup chain up to their corresponding full.
Starman
Enthusiast

Re: Scenario question

Post by Starman »

So then if I delete a .vrb from 10 days ago, then it breaks all backups >10 days however the full (.vbk) and the remaining .vrb's < 10 days old still work?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct.
Starman
Enthusiast

Post by Starman »

Thank you! I'm actually ok with that then.
Starman
Enthusiast

Post by Starman »

Actually just one more questions since I was wrong on my understanding of how reverse inc worked before :)

If I copied off that .vbk file to another drive, it would be a fully functioning backup correct? I could pull into Veeam at a later date and restore from it as a snapshot of the VM's at that exact point in time during its last backup?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

On a side note, deleting restore points manually is actually not recommended, since corresponding records will not be removed from the Veeam SQL database. The only way to remove both the files and the SQL database records is to use a retention policy.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Starman wrote:If I copied off that .vbk file to another drive, it would be a fully functioning backup correct? I could pull into Veeam at a later date and restore from it as a snapshot of the VM's at that exact point in time during its last backup?
Correct.