Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

"VMware Rollup Health State" Unknown after latest 5.1 patch

Post by cffit »

I just applied the lastest VMware patches for 5.1 and I'm getting an error now in VEEAM ONE on some of my ESXi hosts stating that the VMware Rollup Health State is Unknown. I see that VMware has an open case for it, but no fix listed. What are others doing with this? Just unchecking the sensor so it's not alerting? This is the VMware article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=2020665
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: "VMware Rollup Health State" Unknown after latest 5.1 pa

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Christensen,

Actually, this KB article is not accurate. This behavior does not apply to Veeam ONE 6.5 or later. Starting from Veeam ONE v6.5 we are using VMware CIM API to monitor host hardware. Only if this fails for some reason (should be investigated by VMware), only then we failover to MOB connection.

Basically, if you see different sensor status in vSphere Client and Veeam ONE, then please open a support case with our technical team to investigate it further. Also don't forget to post your ticket number.

Thank you!
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

I called VMware to see if they have a fix. If you connect direct to vCenter, the MOB shows the VMware Rollup Health State to be "unknown". However, if you connect directly to the host (not going through vCenter, you can see the proper status of this. I have two ESXi hosts that display properly in VEEAM and two that show "unknown". I can correlate these values exactly when I look at the MOB through vCenter. So I'm fairly certain that VEEAM is getting this specific value from the MOB.

VMware didn't have a fix or workaround, but said they have been working with VEEAM on this and expect a fix in Update 2 for vCenter 5.1, whenever that comes out. For me, this issue started after I put on the VMware patches from October.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm.. and what does this sensor show if you look at it via vSphere Client, not through MOB?
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

I can't find the same monitor object in vCenter under "Hardware Status" tabs of each host, so it's hard to tell. It might be a sensor that VMware doesn't display in their hardware status but VEEAM does? The fact that they were aware of this issue because of customers who use VEEAM would make me think this is the case.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, VMware is aware about this vCenter Server issue, as we keep bugging them for a long time with this.

Have you checked all the subsystems for this sensor? Be aware that hardware sensors can be grouped a bit differently in the vCenter Server.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

This was set to be fixed in 5.1 update 2, but I went ahead and upgraded to 5.5 in the meantime. Same issue there. Ugh.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Christensen, are you on Veeam ONE version 7 R2?
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

Yes, I'm on v7 R2.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm... in our latest release we do not use MOB to retrieve hardware sensors data, so it is strange that you still see this issue. Can you please open a support case and post your case ID, so I could follow up it with our R&D team?