Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
seapro220
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mark foster

scheduling changes, for different backup-copy jobs

Post by seapro220 »

Hello all.

I've finally gotten my schedules working for my backup-copy jobs. As a result, i've discovered some specific jobs, that i'd like to change their paramaters for - and can't due to the limitation (as i've found it) on the wan accellerators. I have 2 rather large backup-copy jobs which never seem to completly finish - due to the limited upstream bandwidth i have. Although this might change in the future, i'm unsure when - so here's my current scheduling, and what I'd like to change ..

10 M upstream to remote site -
5 jobs - processing about 1.5Tb of space each week.
2 jobs which have data, on average of 400Gb.
active timeline - non-business hours with 8 out of 10M of bandwidth and 'full' access over the weekend.

what I'd like to change or enhance ..

2 specific jobs - INCREASE their timeline, or 'allow' them to continue at 6M during the daytime "business" hours and then continue to have 8M after hours. If i could somehow accomplish this, then I'd have 2 schedules -

1 schedule - for 2 jobs that run during business hours, limited to 6M, and
1 schedule - for "all" jobs that would run non-business hours and 'full' on weekends.

I've tried to make changes to the 'proxy' servers, and have several and created several 'timelines' but ever time i do - either the proxy server or wan accellerator changes the settings for 'all' boxes.

thoughts or suggestions?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: scheduling changes, for different backup-copy jobs

Post by foggy »

Mark, throttling rules are applied between two Veeam agents running on specific IPs (not per job). If you need to specify different throttling rules for different jobs, you should use different pairs of agents to achieve that (for example, set up additional pair of WAN accelerators). Thanks.
seapro220
Enthusiast

Post by seapro220 »

thanks for the suggestion, however I already have several WAN accelerators and am still having this issue.

mark
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What kind of issue do you have? How throttling rules are set up? Could you probably give more details on which servers do you throttle, including sample addresses?
seapro220
Enthusiast

Post by seapro220 »

Sure ..

I have 3 backup proxy boxes.
i have 2 scheduled time configured on those boxes. 1 schedule is configured for 5Mg during business hours, and the 2nd schedule is configure for 8Mg for after business hours - and all weekend.
i have 5 WAN Accellerators. On the WAN accellerator, which is configured for 2 of my 'large file-copy' jobs, i have it configured for a 300M cache size. My 'default' WAN Accellerator doesn't have that much space (using the 60Gb recommended level) and all of my other WAN Accellerators have 60Gb configured for their cache.

If I understand the rules, or configuration correctly for what I've tried/am-trying to do - this should be what happens -

on the 2 file-copy jobs, that are configured for the 5M during business hours - they should copy during business hours - up to 5M as allocated per bandwidth rules. during off hours, all the WAN accellerator should process at 8M.

is this not how it works? I dont see any other options, in the WAN accellerators - even having different ones, to make any of the WAN accellerators process with different schedules. Is it something stupid, like I have to remove the 'all hours' since i first created it - then add it back ... after i have my 'limited-during business hours' schedule?

mark
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Mark, it is still not clear what throttling rules you have specified. Could you probably post a screenshot of the Throttling rules dialog and specify what proxy and WAN accelerator servers do you have there?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What version of software you’re running? In version 7 there used to be a bug with throttling rules not working when "Use multiple upload threads per job" box is not enabled. Though, it was supposed to be fixed in patch#1.

Thanks.
seapro220
Enthusiast

Post by seapro220 »

Hi.
I'm using the 'latest version - 7' and have patch #1 installed. I can't figure out how to 'insert' a image - but have verified that there was a 'checkmark' next to 'use multiple...'

basically, i have 2 rules - the first is from my 'lan' side network, to the remote network with a periodic 8M timeframe.
the 2nd rule is using the same, 'local' lan to remote network - with 5M and the timeline is 'anytime'.

mark
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Mark, it's hard to troubleshoot the rules without seeing them, if there are difficulties with posting an image, please contact technical support, they will be able to review your setup during remote webex session. Thanks.