Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
NA57
Novice
Liked: never

best practices

Post by NA57 »

Hello, is there anywhere a documentation what is the best way to put on a Veeam System? We only have a single server with many VM's on it.
To install Veeam on the same machine is probably not so favorable. So I hope I get some good ideas what's the best backup strategie.

Thank's a lot
Greets
NA
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: best practices

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Yes, all documentation is available on our website and in the sticky F.A.Q. topic. If you have any specific questions, please let us know.

Thank you!
NA57
Novice

Post by NA57 »

Thanks for it.
What I want to know is the best Backup-strategie for our environment.
We have one physical Win-Server and many VMs on it. The first question is: Is it better to install Veeam also as VM or on a second physical machine?
Are there any suggestions?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Veeam backup server can be installed either on physical or on virtual machine, it doesn't really matter. If you have a spare physical server, then deploy Veeam backup server on it. If not, then go with virtual server installation.

BTW, where do you want to store your backups?Also can you give us a bit more information on your infrastructure, as it is really hard to give recommendations without knowing what setup you currently have ;)
NA57
Novice

Post by NA57 »

Yes of course.., sorry.
The backups should be store on a NAS.

The problem is, if I install on seperate server I need an additional license for OS --> Ok, but when the server crash my Veeam Installation and configuration is away.
If I Install as VM there are the same problems. In my opinion I can't install a backup system on a server, which I want to backup.

So what is the best way to get redundant data or for example in my company is a fire, or the hardware is stolen. (I agree it's a bit disproportionate, but nothing is impossible :D )
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Actually, assuming you have a Windows Server running some VMs, you can install Veeam backup server on this Hyper-V box, no additional OS license will be required. As to the physical server, then you're absolutely right, it does make sense to separate the backup software from the environment you're going to protect.

Here is one tip that you would find useful, do leverage our configuration backup utility to protect your Veeam server (no matter where it is going to be deployed to). In this case you will always be able to restore your backup infrastructure when the disaster strikes. And make sure you have at least two copies of the backup files. If you have a remote site, then definitely consider using backup copy jobs to transfer your VM backups to the secure location.

What is this NAS box? Does it have iSCSI? How are you going to present it to the backup repository?