Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AlexD
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Dunlop

Help with Incremental and Reverse Incremental

Post by AlexD »

Hi all,
Our set up for backups is a proxy server in the office with Veeam V7 installed. Veeam backup up to a repository on an offsite server. When we had Veeam V6 the backup was a reverse incremental and everything seemed to work fine but when we upgrades to V7 and decided to backup to an offsite server we noticed that the text under the incremental option says
Traditional incremental backup with periodic fulls. Recomended for backup to tape, remote site and deduplicating storage appliances.
So because the incremental option says "Recomended for remote site" we decided to use Incremental instead of reverse. But now we keep getting warnings about the drive running out of space (this never happened with the reverse incremental)
Also the server says that the D: drive (where the backups are stored) has 1.78 TB out of 11.4 TB which means that 9.62 TB have been used but according to some calculations i did the backups should only be using approximately 5 TB.

So my questions are:
  • Should I be using incremental backups of reverse incremental?
    Why is Icremental recomended for offsite?
    Why is the incremental backup size so much bigger than what i calculated?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Help with Incremental and Reverse Incremental

Post by foggy »

AlexD wrote:So because the incremental option says "Recomended for remote site" we decided to use Incremental instead of reverse. But now we keep getting warnings about the drive running out of space (this never happened with the reverse incremental)
Forward incremental mode generally requires more space then reversed incremental as several fulls are stored at each moment in time (depending on your scheduling and retention settings), while with reversed incremental you always have a single full and a set of rollback increments.

Probably it is worth reviewing the corresponding user guide section for better understanding of differences between backup modes. Thanks.
AlexD wrote:
  • Should I be using incremental backups of reverse incremental?
With v7 I would recommend to backup locally first, using whatever mode you prefer, and then utilize backup copy jobs that are specifically designed to efficiently copy backups offsite, providing WAN acceleration for poor links and GFS retention for archival purposes.