Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JorisK
Expert
Liked: never

Suggestions for VEEAM 5?

Post by JorisK »

Hi,

I'm using version 4 now for a few weeks and i'm kinda suprised by the speed and reliability (in a positive way ofcourse). Also the new features which has been added like the one that counts your queue size during the backup wizard are really useful and great!

There's still something i miss in the current version and i hope i to see it added sooner or later:
- An extra column in the status screen that tells the time when the backup was finished.
- An extra option to run a program/script when the backup is finished.

For many of us, the VEEAM backup server is located in a production site and i think many people backup the VEEAM datafiles (.vbk and .vbr) to a location somewhere else. We only have 24 hours to do a complete backup and VEEAM currently takes 9 hours of backing up our system (200+ VM's/6TB). This means we only have 13 hours to run another job that writes all the veeam data to another location. 13 hours is a lot but when a few VM's fail (which happens to everyone i guess) the backup requires extra time. Because i don't want to risk to interfere with VEEAM's backup process I start my copy job 3 hours later which leaves only ten hours to do a full copy of the data files (we copy the data files to tape @ 10.2GB/min, that takes about 11 hours).

Regards,
Joris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Suggestions for VEEAM 5?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Joris,

Thank you for your great feedback!
However I wonder why don't you use a post backup job option available at advanced job settings? You may trigger any custom script after the job is finished, for example you can execute it to copy your VBK/VRB files to external storage. But can you please describe your post backup copy workflow, so I could advise you more specificly? Do you copy the backup files to tape? any other storage device?

As for the extra column with the job status session, we've got that on HTML report, as well as on sessions tab, so could you specify where you'd like to see that?

Thank you.
JorisK
Expert
Liked: never

Post by JorisK »

Hi, gonna check the post-backup option rightaway, i guess i didn't noticed that option.

About the column, i thought i would be useful to see it in the 'Jobs' screen.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Joris,

Yes, take a look at the post-backup script option, also there is a description in our User Guide, might help.