Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
danielo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel

Data Encryption Question

Post by danielo »

Hi,

I am setting up a veeam backup solution with the backup machine existing in a different physical location to the backup repository. The locations are using the internet for connectivity. I want to know if the data is encrypted when being sent over the internet. I will explain my setup.

Location A contains
windows 2008 server running the veam backup and replication console software
windows 2008 server containing the backup repository

Location B contains
vmware esx server
windows 2008 server running as veeam proxy as esx guest
rhel linux server to be backed up as esx guest

Location A has a backup job which is using the proxy in location B to backup the linux server in location B running on the esx server in location B. The proxy server in location B is writing the backup to the repository in location A. All communication is occuring over public ip addresseses between location A and location B.

My question is the data being sent between location B proxy server to write the backup to location A backup repository encrypted ? Or can it be intercepted and read by anyone ? If it is not encrypted I will have to setup a VPN between the two locations I am guessing.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Data Encryption Question

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Daniel,

Yes, you need to setup a VPN connection between your sites to protect your VM data when sending it from proxy (site B) to the repository (site A). This is one of the most commonly used approaches.

Thank you!