Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ThinkGrid
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

backup only poweredOn vms

Post by ThinkGrid »

Hi

As title suggests is it possible to backup only the VMs that are powered On and excluding the powered off VMs. I can't atm separate them on different folders

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: backup only poweredOn vms

Post by foggy »

Could you please elaborate a bit on the actual use case? Do you mean just the initial backup or constantly backing up only those VMs that are powered on at the moment of the job start (the number can vary between the job runs)?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Do you mean just the initial backup or constantly backing up only those VMs that are powered on at the moment of the job start (the number can vary between the job runs)?
In case of second scenario, the task can be achieved by using Veeam Powershell Snap-in in conjunction with PowerCLI. The algorithm should be as the following:

1) Check the state of Virtual Machines. (PowerCLI)
2) Get a list of power-off ones. (PowerCLI)
3) Exclude them from being backed up. (Veeam PSSnapin)
4) Initiate job execution. (Veeam PSSnapin)

Thanks.
ThinkGrid
Enthusiast

Post by ThinkGrid »

Foggy, pretty much that, it checks the Power state at beginning of job and backs it up and yes the number would vary between jobs

Issue is lack of disk space and there is a lot of poweredoff VMs created by customers through a cloud orchestration layer

Thanks Eremin
ThinkGrid
Enthusiast

Post by ThinkGrid »

Thinking over this, it's probably a good idea to add it as a Feature, it's quite useful
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 4 people like this post

I'm not getting the usefullness of this: powered off VMs have NO changed blocks, so they do not consume additional backup space.

But if a VMs was powered on during the day and only powered off before backup started, it has new data in it, so it needs to be created. If you ask me, avoid to backup VMs because of lack of backup space is not a solution.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Luca is spot on, that is exactly why I asked about the particular scenario, since it does not look solid to me.
ThinkGrid
Enthusiast

Post by ThinkGrid »

I agree about the incrementals not having blocks changed but would like to exclude them on the first backup as well

Anyways....
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ThinkGrid wrote:I agree about the incrementals not having blocks changed but would like to exclude them on the first backup as well
I might be off base, but this means that when something happens to the powered off VMs, it will not be possible to restore them.

How should the job behave if VM was powered on for some time, and at the job start time your customer has shut it down? Should the backup job pick this VM up or it should skip it? Just trying to understand the recovery scenarios in this case.
ThinkGrid
Enthusiast

Post by ThinkGrid »

Yea, the powered Off VMs wouldn't have backups so no restores for them

The backup should skip the powered Off VM if it's been powered ON for a while, but as agreed it doesn't matter even it's backedup as no blocks would have changed
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Also, even if you delay the backup of a VM because it is powered off, the first time you would have to backup it, it would obviously be a full backup, there is no alternative to it.

You said the reason is lack of space on the repository, we maybe could work on this topic more than the exclusion of powered off VMs, if you want. Maybe in a new thread.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

ThinkGrid wrote:The backup should skip the powered Off VM if it's been powered ON for a while, but as agreed it doesn't matter even it's backedup as no blocks would have changed
There might be a situation when some VM is started, used, and then stopped between backup cycles. Such VM will never be backed up.