Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pwinterbourne
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Winterbourne

Starting to think about replication

Post by pwinterbourne »

Hi,

I have searched the forums and I am sure that this has been answered loads of times but I am having difficulties finding the posts!.
We currently backup to our veeam server locally. I want to introduce a new SAN in to our VMware infrastructure with the sole reason so that I can start to replicate some of our VM's over to it using veeam.

The VM's we want to replicate are already backed up by Veeam but we want to improve our recovery time objective by using replication (however still want 60 days worth of backups)

Can I just set up a replication job alongside our current backup job for these vm's or is there anything I need to be aware of or do? I did think that it might not work due to the CBT side of things, i.e. once the vm is backed up the CBT gets wiped therefore how will the replication know what has changed since the last time it replicated (apart from doing an entire compare of the VMDK which for these vm's would be intolerably slow as they are 4TB+)

many thanks

Paul
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Starting to think about replication

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Paul,
pwinterbourne wrote:Can I just set up a replication job alongside our current backup job for these vm's or is there anything I need to be aware of or do?
Yes, you can setup replication jobs to replicate VMs data to the offsite location. Here you go some best practices to follow > Requirement for replication
pwinterbourne wrote:I did think that it might not work due to the CBT side of things, i.e. once the vm is backed up the CBT gets wiped therefore how will the replication know what has changed since the last time it replicated (apart from doing an entire compare of the VMDK which for these vm's would be intolerably slow as they are 4TB+)
There will be no CBT conflict, as CBT data is not wiped out and each job will have its own CBT ID to determine the amount of VM changes to be transmitted.

Let me know if you have any further questions!