Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ariesps
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sergio

Deployment scenario & sharing repository

Post by ariesps »

HI!

I was thinking on best Veeam backup deployment to this scenario..

5 ESXi Host with FC access to EMC VNX 5300 where resides production Datastores & Backup Respository
1 Physical Host with vCenter & Veeam Backup Server, with FC TapeLibrary HP Storageworks and FC access to EMC VNX

The setup i have done is next:

Physical Host with B&R Server has a backup repository (4 LUN on VNX 5300 making one single Dynamic disk of 8TB)
1 Veeam Proxy on VM (hot-add mode)

If i'm correct the traffic flow is Disk > Backup Proxy > Network to Veeam Backup Server > Repository.

Is i need to archive then backups to tape, can be the repository shared between Veeam Backup Server and Backup Proxy? Would it improve backup jobs performance?

Another approach i was thinking if is possible to configure a Backup Proxy as Direct SAN with pRDM to VMFS Datastores and, at the same time, with backup repository role (again as pRDM) shared with Veeam Server to archive backups to tape?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Deployment scenario & sharing repository

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Sergio,
ariesps wrote:If i'm correct the traffic flow is Disk > Backup Proxy > Network to Veeam Backup Server > Repository.
Yes, that's right.
ariesps wrote:If i need to archive then backups to tape, can be the repository shared between Veeam Backup Server and Backup Proxy? Would it improve backup jobs performance?
Yes, it can be shared, moreover if you start using direct SAN mode on the existing physical backup server, it will definitely improve the job performance.
ariesps wrote:Another approach i was thinking if is possible to configure a Backup Proxy as Direct SAN with pRDM to VMFS Datastores and, at the same time, with backup repository role (again as pRDM) shared with Veeam Server to archive backups to tape.
Not sure I understand what you say about proxy server and pRDM disks, can you please clarify? The only option to use Direct SAN mode in your case is to configure it on the existing physical backup server. You cannot expose FC connection to the virtual backup proxy.

Thanks!
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Also, I see you are using the same VNX both to store production VMs and the Veeam backup repository, did I understood correctly? If so, this is a really bad design, if you loose the VNX you loose both production VMs and their backups. Please consider using an external storage.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
ariesps
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sergio

Post by ariesps »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Sergio,
Yes, that's right. Yes, it can be shared, moreover if you start using direct SAN mode on the existing physical backup server, it will definitely improve the job performance. Not sure I understand what you say about proxy server and pRDM disks, can you please clarify? The only option to use Direct SAN mode in your case is to configure it on the existing physical backup server. You cannot expose FC connection to the virtual backup proxy.

Thanks!
Thanks for answers! I will defintely go for Direct SAN with zoning.
Forgot about pRDM on backup Proxy. I was thinking to present at the same time the datastore as a rdm to vm. Too much hours of jobs.

So DirectSAN with FC only on physical servers or physical backup proxy, and DIrectSAN with iSCSI can be either physical or virtual backup proxy.
dellock6 wrote:Also, I see you are using the same VNX both to store production VMs and the Veeam backup repository, did I understood correctly? If so, this is a really bad design, if you loose the VNX you loose both production VMs and their backups. Please consider using an external storage.

Luca.
Yes, I know. It will be a temp scenario as we'll purchuase another SAN:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ariesps wrote:So DirectSAN with FC only on physical servers or physical backup proxy, and DIrectSAN with iSCSI can be either physical or virtual backup proxy.
Correct.