Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mhaynesVCI
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Haynes

Files to Tape Job incomplete file list

Post by mhaynesVCI »

Hey there,

We're beginning to test Veeam's tape functionality, and we're hoping to replace NBU. One of the pieces we require is our file server archive functionality.

I've built the job and pointed it at a directory on our file server, which is a Server 2012 Failover cluster. The actual contents of the directory are 11,776 files 2,170 folders. My test job completes successfully but only backs up 451files and 83 directories.

Is this a known issues with Server2012 de-dupe per chance? That's enabled on this cluster.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Files to Tape Job incomplete file list

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Matt,

No, it is not a known issue. Will it be possible to narrow down the list of folders and files that were skipped? Are they all located on the dedupe volume? Also you can ask our support team for assistance with reading files to tape job log, should shed some light on the observed behavior.

Thank you!
mhaynesVCI
Novice

Post by mhaynesVCI »

OK, I've gone through the files that made it into the backup and there are OS level de-duped files among them. So it seems a little more complex than just that. I'll open a support case and get them to go over the logs. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

So, apart from that, these files don’t have anything in common: be it extension or file type or whatever. In addition, might be a silly question, but – are there any file masks specified in file to tape job settings?

Thanks.
mhaynesVCI
Novice

Post by mhaynesVCI »

OK it looks as if it's just a plain 'ol non-interesting permissions issue. If I browse to the administrative share of that volume as my Veeam service account, it's only display the files that end up in this backup.

I kind of assumed because Veeam uses a transport proxy client & VSS it'd avoid any file-specific perms, but I guess that's not the case.

Thanks for the replies.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Thanks, Matt, for sharing valuable information. I’ve asked QA team to confirm this behavior. Let me update the topic once I have a little bit more information.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

QA has confirmed that only files that can be seen using the specified account will be backed up by tape job. However, If corresponding files can be seen using the specified account, and they aren’t backed up for some reason, then, you should open a ticket and let support team investigate it directly, since such behavior is unexpected.

Additionally, can you check whether the "Use Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy" option is enabled in the settings of file to tape job?

Thanks.