Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EricRomzek
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Romzek

Wan Accelerator Cache

Post by EricRomzek »

I have increase our WAN accelerator cache from 100GB to 200GB. I have noticed that it has not really grown at all since I made the change last week. It is currently sitting at 103GB. Do I need to flush the cache and let it rebuild again for it to utilize the additional 100GB I allocated it?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Wan Accelerator Cache

Post by Gostev »

Hi Erik, are you looking at target site WAN accelerator?
EricRomzek
Novice

Post by EricRomzek »

My VeeamWAN folders are as follows:

Source Site WAN Accelerator = 79GB
Target Site WAN Accelerator = 103GB

I assume these will sync next time and both be the same size the next time the sync occurs. Does WAN Accelerator Sync occur at the beginning of the backup copy job or is that background processing that just happens during idle? I really thought at one point both were almost perfectly at 100GB which is the original value I gave them. I thought I would give them another 100GB for a total of 200GB then monitor the job results to see if the WAN accelerators provided even more bandwidth savings. But for whatever reason they have not moved much since bumping them up to 200GB each.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Source and target caches do not sync. Only target WAN accelerator cache stores actual data, source WAN accelerator cache only stores data fingerprints (little data). Of course, if you run the job both ways, then both caches will be populated with the actual data.

When you increase the target WAN accelerator cache size, it should be growing as the job progresses. I will double check with the devs on this.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Confirmed that this should grow, unless of course there is already data in cache that is very similar to processed data.
EricRomzek
Novice

Post by EricRomzek »

Interesting, Maybe with our OS infrastructure being 95% the same across the board I will have limiting returns past the 100GB mark. Thanks for the help Gostev!