Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EricRomzek
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Romzek

What are the proper procedures for VM disk change?

Post by EricRomzek »

I increased the disk size of one of our VM's yesterday. Instead of doing the old method of clearing CBT through Vsphere I thought I would see if 7.0 could handle a disk size change.

I received just a warning for a normal backup.

Code: Select all

10/31/2013 6:03:33 PM :: Disk xxx.vmdk size changed. Changed block tracking is disabled.
My replication failed with:

11/1/2013 7:54:23 AM :: Processing 'xxx' Error: Client error: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
Exception from server: Declared and actual sizes of the disk [vddk://<vddkConnSpec><viConn name="xxx-vcenter" authdPort="443" vicPort="443" /><vmxPath vmRef="vm-554" datacenterRef="datacenter-21" datacenterInventoryPath="xxx" snapshotRef="snapshot-15539" datastoreName="xxx" path="xxx.vmx" /><vmdkPath datastoreName="xxx" path="CI
My Backup Copy Job failed with:

11/1/2013 8:34:14 AM :: Processing xxx Error: Unable to initialize remote target session connection: all aliases have failed.
--tr:Failed to open WAN synchronization target.
--tr:Failed to create target task, taskId: '92fc7d5c-8cfc-4a38-976a-002af1adcf1f', xmlDiskSpec: '<targetDiskSpec><agentConnSpec crcEnable="False"><name>xxx</name><addrs><addr>xxx</addr><addr>xxx</addr></addrs><port>2500</port><login>xxx</login><password>xxx<
What are the proper procedures to take after a disk resize for replication and backup copy job functionality with Veeam 7.0? Will my backup job complete warning free the next time the job runs or are there also additional steps I need to take for that job as well?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: What are the proper procedures for VM disk change?

Post by foggy »

Eric, both are known issues that will be addressed in the patch 2, scheduled to be released later this month:

v7 GUID was not found, Declared and actual sizes of the disk
BackupSync fails if vm disk size increases

Thanks!
EricRomzek
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Romzek

Post by EricRomzek »

Foggy,

As far as you know after patch 2 is released are there any specific procedures we should be doing when modifying disk size on VM's or will Veeam 7.0 handle it all on its own?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

B&R will handle it on its own.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Disk change will be handled automatically, no additional actions will be required. However, I recommend creating a second replica job some time prior to changing the source VM disk size and run it to collect enough restore points. Just to protect yourself from possible failures after all original replication job restore points are deleted due to disk size change.