Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PBGBob
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert J Collins

Restore Full vs Incremental; help me understand

Post by PBGBob »

I have read through some of the manual and don't see it well explained.

In a restore operation there is an option to chose full or incremental when selecting point in time. If I restore an incremental, does Veeam go further back to the full prior to and then apply the full plus the incrementals up to the one I selected?

It seems that it should do that, as I presume restoring an incremental, that is not all the data required to get the VM running.

Thanks for the clue-bat swings.

Bob
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Restore Full vs Incremental; help me understand

Post by Gostev »

PBGBob wrote:In a restore operation there is an option to chose full or incremental when selecting point in time. If I restore an incremental, does Veeam go further back to the full prior to and then apply the full plus the incrementals up to the one I selected?
Yes, but applying incremental data happens "inline", and not after full backup is restored. The restored VM state is synthesized by taking each block from the required backup file. For example, if block 1 did not change since full backup, the restore process will take it from full backup file. But if block 2 did change 3 times after full backup, the restore process will take its most recent version from the corresponding incremental backup file. Thanks!
PBGBob
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert J Collins

Re: Restore Full vs Incremental; help me understand

Post by PBGBob »

Thank you, Gostev.