Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bcho
Lurker
Liked: never

Question about merging VMs from different jobs into one job

Post by bcho »

Hi,
I'm using Veeam B&R 6.1, and trying to merge a few VMs that were originally in different jobs into one job with a new repository. Is there a way to migrate the backup files from just those VMs to the new repository?

Thanks,
Brian
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Question about merging VMs from different jobs into one

Post by foggy »

Brian, if this is a completely new combined job, then you cannot use your previous backup files and need to perform full backup for all VMs. You can however, add VMs to an existing job to avoid full for those some of them backed up by this job previously and then move backups to the new repository.
bcho
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by bcho »

Thanks for the quick reply, Alex.

Yes, this is a completely new job with three VMs which were previously in different jobs. However, I only care about the backup files of only one of those VMs. So, according to your reply, could I make a new job with two of the VMs, do a full backup, and then add the third VM (the VM that I want the backup files for) to that job? If so, when I am moving the backups to the new repository, what would be the correct steps to take assuming the old repository contains backups from other unrelated VMs (which I want to keep)? Would veeam have issues with the .vbk file since it contains other VMs that is no longer in this new job?
Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Brian
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Brian,
bcho wrote:could I make a new job with two of the VMs, do a full backup, and then add the third VM (the VM that I want the backup files for) to that job?
No, that's not possible. If you want to keep/re-use backup files for that particular VM (third one), you need to add new VMs (first two) to the backup job that contained this very VM. Once you do this, start the job to create backups for newly added VMs and then move the backup files to the new repository.

Thanks!
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

[MERGED] Merging jobs in V7

Post by readie »

Hi,
When I started with B&R V5 (I think - some years ago) I wanted control and so set up a separate relication or Backup job for each of my VMWare folders, each with between 4 and 10 VMs. This meant I could manage the start times to minimise the 'waiting for backup resources'.
Now with V7 parallel processing, I should like to merge some of these jobs together (though I suppose I could just about achieve the same by scheduling one task to start after another has finished . . ).
Is there a documented way of merging jobs, as I have hit problems before when I have tried to move a VM from one folder/job into another.
thanks in advance,
Bob
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Bob, please review this thread for instructions on merging jobs. Feel free to ask for further clarification, if required.
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Post by readie »

Thanks - I'll give this a go and let you know how I get on. Bob
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.