Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kornelg
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: John chr

10gbit backup

Post by kornelg »

i am planning to install on a physical server veeam 7 with 1x 10gbit ethernet connected to a brocade switch.
i have 2 esx hosts connect through fiber switch to a HUS 110.
i would like to ask if i should also use 1gbit ethernet for veeam for management(logging in in veeam or for something else.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: 10gbit backup

Post by dellock6 »

Hi John, sorry I'm not getting the point: if the production storage is on FC connection, in order to take advantage for example of Direct SAN backups, also your Veeam server would need to have FC links and be connected and correctly zoned/masked to see the Hitachi LUNs.
Or maybe your ESXi servers are using 10G ethernet links, and you want to use network mode?

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
kornelg
Enthusiast

Post by kornelg »

each esx will have 1x10gbe,the storage will be hus and they will be connected though fc brocade switch.
the veeam server is physical with internal raid disks for backup repository and i am going to use 1x10gbe for the backups.is it a good solution?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Yes if you plan to use network mode or hotadd mode via some Veeam virtual proxies, traffic will flow from ESXi servers to the Veeam physical server.
Also, 10G network will help you during restores, since you will need to go through ESXi servers again (better use a virtual veeam proxy rather than going via network).
If you have the opportunity, I would also suggest you to add FC connections to Veeam server and do backups via Direct SAN mode, it would be even faster. Keep 10G for management connections from Veeam to ESXi servers and vCenter, and as I said for restore. Otherwise, go with 10G ethernet for backups.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
kornelg
Enthusiast

Post by kornelg »

beacuse i havent configured a 10gbe before what should i do also.it is the same as 1 gb and i am using that also to connecto with veeam.adding ip and these stuff!because i dont have enough 1gbe ports at the switch and i will use only 10gbe for veeam.