Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dkvello
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dag Kvello

Allowa replica target to be a cluster

Post by dkvello »

I have some situations where I'd set up a replication job where both the target hosts and the source hosts are the same, but the target Storage is different from the source.

The problem is that I have to pre-select, based on what host a particular VM is currently situated on, wich host should be the target.

Now, using DRS, this is a problem. If the VM has moved to the host I set as a "Target" then the job won't run.

Wouldn't it be possible for Veeam Backup to accept at Cluster as a target and then just do a check before replication starts and dynamically pick a suitable target-host ? Maybe dynamically "lock" the VM to its source host for the duration of the replication ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Allowa replica target to be a cluster

Post by Gostev »

I am not sure I understand this. Are you saying your replica VM is being affected by DRS - even though it is turned off all the time except when actual failover happens?
dkvello
Service Provider

Post by dkvello »

When You set up a replica-job You have to choose a target host for that job.
Now, if the VM has moved to the host you initially chose to be the target (so both target and source host are the same at the time when the replica starts) then the replication-job fails.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hmm... so are you saying you are replicating withing the same cluster, but different storages (probably local storage for replica)? I think the main issue in this case is that both source and replica VM are located on the same host. I am pretty sure fixing UI will not help here because the main issue is that you cannot have 2 VMs with the same settings on the same host.
dkvello
Service Provider

Post by dkvello »

Gostev wrote:Hmm... so are you saying you are replicating withing the same cluster, but different storages (probably local storage for replica)? I think the main issue in this case is that both source and replica VM are located on the same host. I am pretty sure fixing UI will not help here because the main issue is that you cannot have 2 VMs with the same settings on the same host.
Yes, the replication is to/from hosts in the same cluster but to remote storage, mostly FC Storage in a nearby building. Thus the remote storage looks like ordinary vmfs for all hosts in the cluster.

I know that You can't replicate to/from the same host. But...

The source host can vary (depending on where DRS has put the VM), but there is no reason why the target should be fixed in the replica-job. It should be determined at the time when the replication starts.
Veeam will just have to choose another host, other than the one the VM is currently running on, in the cluster as the target.

Eks.
I have a cluster, "MyCluster", that consists of three ESX hosts. "esx01", "esx02"
I have two LUNS, "SANStore01" and "SANStore02", on two separate storage-controllers, in two separate buildings ("Building1" and "Building2"), all connected together in the same Fiber-channel fabric
I have a VM, "MyVM", that shall replicate from "SANStore01" in "Building1" to "SANStore02" in "Building2"

When I create the job and "MyVM" is running on "esx01" in "MyCluster" using then I'm forced to use "esx02" in "MyCluster" as the target host.
If, by chance, "MyVM" has been moved to "esx02" after I created the job, then "esx02" will be both the source and the target and the job fails.

But, the way I want it is like this.

I create a replication-job for "MyVM" (its currently on "esx01") and I choose "MyCluster" as the host-target and "SANStore02" as the VMFS target.
Later, "MyVM", moves over to "esx02" because of a resource-situation.
When the replication-job starts it checks what esx-host "MyVM" is running on. It sees that "MyVM" it currently running on "esx02" and automatically selects "esx01" as the replication-target (or any other host in the cluster besides "esx02" if I had more than two hosts).
The replica-job runs and I'm happy.