Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
brianlees
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Misunderstanding Veeam Cloud Edition?

Post by brianlees »

Current setup:
  • Veeam 7 backing up multiple VMs to local NAS (three different backup jobs)
  • Copy Job set to copy the backups to a remote NAS (via a proxy) with a GFS setup
I thought that the Cloud Edition would work like a copy job and copy an existing backup. But, it looks like can specify other drives on servers as well? How would I setup the cloud backup to backup the GFS setup? Would I just pick the remote share and set that as the source? That means I need to have a huge pipe at the remote location for upload, though. Is there anyway to set this up so I can use the local pipe, which will be much bigger?

Or, am I just completely misunderstanding Veeam Cloud edition?

Thanks

Brian
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Misunderstanding Veeam Cloud Edition?

Post by Gostev »

Yes, sounds like you do misunderstand. For what you are trying to achieve, Cloud Edition is unnecessary. You can do this with Backup Copy job available in every product edition. Thanks!
brianlees
Enthusiast

Post by brianlees »

Wow, that is not clear on the website, then. We (multiple IT people here) got the impression this allowed the cloud to be another target for the backups. Although it is, you can see how we were interpreting that.

So, is it possible to use the cloud edition to build a GFS structure? Would we set it up to copy the remote NAS or some storage repository that has the GFS structure?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

brianlees wrote:Wow, that is not clear on the website, then. We (multiple IT people here) got the impression this allowed the cloud to be another target for the backups.
That is exactly correct statement, is specifically what Cloud Edition allows you to do (enables public clouds as in Amazon, Azure etc to be another target for the backups). So, the impression you got from the website is correct. However, copying to remote NAS does not require Cloud Edition. Although Cloud Edition still can do it, you are better of using the Backup Copy job instead.
brianlees wrote:So, is it possible to use the cloud edition to build a GFS structure?
GFS is a feature of Backup Copy job only. Again, sounds like it is a much better fit.
brianlees
Enthusiast

Post by brianlees »

I guess I wasn't clear - the configuration I listed in the original post is how we have it setup now. So, we are already using a copy job to a remote NAS. We were looking for the possibility of also copying that exact same data to the cloud.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Got it. In this case yes, you will need to either upload local non-GFS backups, or those GFS backups from the remote site.