Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jhladish
Influencer
Liked: never

VMware Data Corruption KB

Post by jhladish »

Hey guys,

I've been notified of the VMware KB regarding possible data corruption for a VM network transfer. I currently have all network adapters set to the e1000e adapter (unfortunately). We recently changed the adapters on the proxies to the vmxnet3 adapter.

Anyone who has had this issue or can chime in - does changing the adapter for the proxy servers successfully address this problem, or do the target and source VMs need to have their adapters modified as well? With an infrastructure of around 70 VMs, this would be very time consuming.'

Thanks for any information

Jordan
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: VMWare Data Corruption KB

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

If you are concerned about this issue affecting your backups specifically, then you do not need to do anything at all, as B&R has inline network traffic validation.

Quoting my earlier weekly forum digest:
Gostev wrote:Specifically to backups, even if some of your backup infrastructure components are running in a Windows Server 2012 VM, you should be safe if you are using Veeam Backup & Replication 6.5 or later. This was the version when we added inline network traffic verification to work around some unrelated data corruption issues involving faulty network equipment that we have observed in support. I had a big story about this in a weekly digest over one year ago.
Just keep in mind that:
Gostev wrote:However, unfortunately your actual production data may already be corrupted, and unless you still have backups going all the way back to your vSphere 5.x or Windows Server 2012 upgrade times, this might be one of those cases of unrecoverable data loss. Worst of all, without running compare against a copy of data that is known to be "good", it is impossible to say which specific parts of data are corrupted...
Thanks!