Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

No virtual DNS, no virtual lab..

Post by Peejay62 »

We are running our dns services on physical infoblox appliances. Correct me if I am wrong but this means as much as not being able to create a proper surebackup and virtual lab, for example for active directory u-air functionality? I' m guessing this is the case but anyway, thought i'd ask anyway, maybe somebody has anything usefull to say about this.

thanks, P
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: No virtual DNS, no virtual lab..

Post by chrisdearden »

I think you may well be out of luck unless you can run a virtual secondary that would be referred to by your "restore DC"
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Chris is correct, however will configuring "hosts" file on each verified VM help here? Just a guess :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

If you do this on the production VM, this will certainly mess up your production ;)
And if you do this on test VM, by the time you can do this, it is already too late probably...
Peejay62 wrote:We are running our dns services on physical ... appliance
Physical = Limiting... and this is a perfect example why 100% virtualized environment is the way to go. Did you talk to infoblox about this? I cannot imagine they do not at least consider adding virtual appliances?
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 »

Well, the choice for physical appliances is an architectural one, so i'm told. The networking department believes them to be safer and better for businesscontinuity. They don't want for the dns to be living inside the virtual infrastructure. Opinions may differ on that, but in the near future I don't see that being changed. So I am scr....ed for what the virtual lab is concerned.hurts..
Makes we wondering, out of the box thinking, that it has to be possible to build a vm, configure it as a dns and run it only inside the virtual lab. What's in the lab stays in the lab, so that will not hurt production. It will need some serious effort i guess, thinking about the way we deploy servers and configuring that dns, but that might just work.
thanks for your comments so far,

P
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well...yes, if you configure a secondary DNS server in this VM and use it the lab only, it should do the trick.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Just ask your network team to let you configure a slave DNS server inside a virtual machine. It will not hurt their design, and you will have your own DNS server to be used in lab.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 » 2 people like this post

Well, it just looks fine now. Had some chats with networking team and I will get a virtual infoblox appliance for the dns inside the virtual lab. I explained how things work and they do no have any problem with it. there are some licensecost involved in that though. So I am not scr...ed after all and can make use of those fine surebackup an virtual lab facilities in the future.. me happy again..