Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Daithi
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Best Design - Newbie Help

Post by Daithi »

Hi folks,

We've been testing Veeam for a few weeks now and I'm wondering if people could offer suggestions about how we use it and if it's the best way?

At the moment we have physical server with Veeam B+R installed. We have two HyperV hosts using a cluster shared volume on a SAN connected by fibre.

We need the following scheme
Mon-Fri nightly backups
Saturday full backup
Saturday/Sunday full backup is copied to tape.

At the moment we have two separate jobs. One for nightly backups to disk using reverse incremental on Mon-Fri
A second job which does a sythentic full backup on Saturday which has a secondary destination for our tape job

Does this look ok? Does I need two jobs or could everything be done in one job?

Any comments appreciated!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Best Design - Newbie Help

Post by foggy »

This can be done with a single reversed incremental job that will run Mon-Sat or single forward incremental job that will run Mon-Sat with a synthetic full on Sat. The backup to tape job should run on Sat to grab the full backup to tape.
Daithi
Enthusiast

Post by Daithi »

Hi Foggy that's what I figured! Thanks for that! Very responsive forum. Love it!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You're welcome. Don't hesitate to ask for any additional clarification, if required.
Daithi
Enthusiast

Post by Daithi »

Hi, one question. Our backups normally runs for two days (I know :( ). If I schedule a full backup on Saturday and the tape backup runs overnight will the two jobs clash with each other? I.e. the tape backup runs over Saturday and Sunday and Sat/Sun night a disk backup will be performed too?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You might want to chain the backup to tape job so that it starts after the full backup is created. This can be done via post-job activity command in the regular backup job that will be executed on the selected day only (Sat). Another option would be to use the "As new backup files appear" option on the backup to tape job with the allowed period set to Sat/Sun only.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As to the script responsible for starting given job, it should be pretty simple:

Code: Select all

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
Get-VBRTapeJob -name "Name of your Tape Job" | Start-VBRJob 
Thanks.
Daithi
Enthusiast

Post by Daithi »

Thanks folks,

Could you just sense check the following

Mon-Friday -> Forward Incremental (this should produce incremental files Mon-Fri )
Saturday -> Full Backup -> VBK file is created on Saturday (from the incremental produced from tape)
Monday -> Tape backup of VBK file only (no backups of incremental to tape?)
Monthly -> Active Backup

The only issue is just how Veeam would handle the tape job running and the nightly backups if that happened. e.g the tape back ran Sat/Sun and Monday night?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Daithi wrote:Mon-Friday -> Forward Incremental (this should produce incremental files Mon-Fri )
The first file (created during first job run) will be VBK.
Daithi wrote:Saturday -> Full Backup -> VBK file is created on Saturday (from the incremental produced from tape)
Not sure I understand what's in the brackets.
Daithi wrote:Monday -> Tape backup of VBK file only (no backups of incremental to tape?)
You can select whether you want to backup incrementals to tape in the tape job settings.
Daithi
Enthusiast

Post by Daithi »

Thanks for the quick reply again (sorry brackets are just comments for someone else!)

The last thing hopefully is if the tape backup runs over e.g. will it still copy the full VBK file and will the nightly incremental backup still work?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

With forward incremental backup mode there will be no issues with that.
Daithi
Enthusiast

Post by Daithi »

Brilliant,

Thank you so much again! Will do a proper test next week but thanks for helping me sense check it first!