Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dualdj1
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Jason K. Brandt

Media Pool Management

Post by dualdj1 »

I need to be able to move media between pools, without having to reinventory tapes. I don't want to have to setup separate jobs for monthly full copies vs weeklys. The way i've always handled this with other backup software, is to simply move the tapes I'd like to save, to a different media pool. However, when moving them to a new pool in VEEAM, it marked the tapes as free, and I had to inventory them again, for them to show up properly in the catalog. Thankfully I didn't lose any data.

My other issue, is with appends. There is no append period able to be set on the media pool. Please look at adding an append limit in days/weeks. IE if the limit is set to 3 days, and the tape was created 11/1, I would not be able to write to the tape today, and would have to go to a new tape. As it sits now, if there's a tape in the library with free space, it can be written to, just not overwritten.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Media Pool Management

Post by tsightler »

dualdj1 wrote:My other issue, is with appends. There is no append period able to be set on the media pool. Please look at adding an append limit in days/weeks. IE if the limit is set to 3 days, and the tape was created 11/1, I would not be able to write to the tape today, and would have to go to a new tape. As it sits now, if there's a tape in the library with free space, it can be written to, just not overwritten.
You can control this somewhat by setting the time when Veeam creates a new media set as, once a new media set is started the previous one is closed and cannot be overwritten until the retention period of the media. If I want to force it once a week I can tell Veeam to create a new media set once a week. You can also set it to create a new media set for specific days so for example if you select at 12AM on Mon,Thus, and Sat, you'll get pretty close to your "three days" limit, although with only 2 days for the Saturday to Monday window.
dualdj1
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Jason K. Brandt

Re: Media Pool Management

Post by dualdj1 »

OK that will help, I figured something with the media set creation may work but hadn't had time to test yet. Thanks for the suggestion.