Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TechHead
Influencer
Liked: never

Virtual Appliance - "Insufficient disk space on datastore"

Post by TechHead »

Hi,

Veeam Backup VM - W2K8 x64 running Veeam Backup 4 x64 version.
C: OS & Veeam Backup Utility - 40GB (LUN available space 178GB free)
D: Backup LUN - 1TB (dedicated LUN - 1TB, 550GB free)

I'm getting the following error message when trying to backup a VM whose disks (3 in total amounting to 200GB) are greater than the 178GB free space on the LUN on which the C: drive (40GB) vmdk file for the VM running Veeam backup is running.

"Insufficient disk space on datastore"

The target/destination for the backup job is on the D drive which has plenty of disk space spare. All other VMs which have a disk size less that the 178GB free on the C drive LUN work ok. This is happening on two seperate Veeam Backup servers at different sites. I'm confused as to why Veeam Backup would be looking at the LUN size on where the C drive LUN resides when the target for the backup is on the D drive located on a different LUN.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Simon
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Virtual Appliance - "Insufficient disk space on datastore"

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Simon,

Sorry for not getting quick to you, but we've been trying to reproduce that issue with our QA team, and we've managed to that. So right now when you're using Hot Add mode you need to have at least the same amount of free space available as the size of the virtual disks you want to backup. You should have the free space on the datastore where your backup server resides. This space limitation refers to vStorage API, that's why you see such kind of errors on your separate sites, so it's not just Veeam Backup looking for the space, but vStorage API itself.
We will continue investigation on this limitation, so we'll keep you posted.

Thank you.
chad5k1
Influencer

Post by chad5k1 »

I think I have the very same issue, so any update would be great.
Thanks
Richard
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Richard, we have confirmed that this is vStorage API bug - for some reason it checks the free space on LUN where Veeam Backup VM resides, and it should be greater than the size of hot added disks... we cannot easily fix this bug and will have to ask VMware to fix this.

As a workaround, ensure Veeam Backup VM LUN has more free space than the largest VM you are backing up.

Thanks!
zeki
Enthusiast

Post by zeki »

hi gostev
i have an open ticket about this error. the strange is, that i have a lot of space free (120gb on c:\ of the veeambackup server) and 200gb on the storage. the biggest vm is 80gb.
-> i still have this error. i must be another thing... if you want to track the ticket - [Ticket#515101]

strange is, when i backup a standalone vm its ok... when i have a set of vms it breaks....

thanks
zeki
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello zeki,

We'll keep an eye on your ticket, however the only space limitation that is presented in the Hot Add mode, is the free space on the LUN where VM with Veeam Backup resides, can you also please send us the latest logs where the job is successful?

Thank you
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Zeki - Vitaly is correct, you need free disk space on LUN where Veeam Backup VM resides (not on disk C:\ inside Veeam Backup VM).