Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Tapelibrary/drives connected on proxy?

Post by Peejay62 » 2 people like this post

Is it to be expected that a tapelibrary/tapedrives can be connected to a server other than the B&R server itself? It would make more sense to me that a server owning the disk-repository also would have the access to the tape environment. In my distributed setup I choose the B&R server to be virtual, the backup proxies and repository server to be physical. Now the B&R server also turns into a kind of media-server/backup proxy if using tapes. I have no experience with it, but connecting and dedicating tapedrives/library to a VM seems to me a rather complicated thing. IMO it's the strenght of Veeam B&R being able to make a distributed setup, easily managing resources and distributing workload. In my logic the tape drives don't belong to the B&R server but somewhere on a proxy. At the moment I don't have an alternative to integrate our ( i might say very big) tape-environment into the Veeam infrastructure other than choosing to have physical B&R servers, and that's a pity.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tapelibrary/drives connected on proxy?

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

Thanks, Peter, for the heads up; much appreciated. Also, there are already plans to allow proxy servers to handle tape activities in one of the future releases.

For now you should either use physical backup server or expose physically connected tape appliance via ISCSI protocol, using free 3rd party software. Thanks.
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 » 4 people like this post

Ok, tape support on proxy servers is exact what I need (probably other customers too...) Hope to see it appear in the near future. Thanx for the response.
paulhardy
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Hardy

Post by paulhardy »

Just wondered if anyone from Veeam could hint at a very rough time scale for support of tape via proxy servers? ie. 1 month, 2 months or a year? It will just help with a few decisions I need to make. Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Let's say 6 months, unless plans change, which they often do :)
paulhardy
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Hardy

Post by paulhardy »

Thanks Gostev that's all I need : )
jcmachadouga
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Juan Machado

Post by jcmachadouga »

Gostev wrote:Let's say 6 months, unless plans change, which they often do :)
Thanks Gostvev. It will be nice to use our farm of tape libraries.

By they way, add the QUALSTAR RLS tape libraries to the list of supported libraries... It works like a charm!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Done, thanks!
cljos
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Claes Josefsson

Post by cljos »

Hi Guys
Like Peejay62 i have a couple of customers that would LOVE tape support on proxy´s and still be able run Veeam B&R as a VM
Keep up the good work Veeam :)
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Full Name: J Cook

[MERGED] : Tape and multiple proxies

Post by cookiejc »

Hi,

Does anyone know if using V7 with tape and multiple proxies is supported and is there any guidance on configuring this?

If we are using a central management server with separate servers for proxies and repositories I am unsure where the tapes libraries would need to be presented and whether V7 will support central mangement.

Thansk in advance
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Currently, tape drives/libraries connected to proxy servers aren’t supported, as them have to be connected directly to management server.

However, we do consider adding this functionality in the next releases.

Thanks.
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Full Name: J Cook

Post by cookiejc »

Thanks for the quick reply. If there are any updates on timescales we'd be very interested.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. As to the timeframe, the one described above is still valid. Thanks.
Keyser
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

[MERGED] : TapeLibrary attached on Repository Server

Post by Keyser »

Hi Veeam

Will it ever be possible to have the TapeLibrary attached to the Repository Server Role so that data movement when doing tapebackup can be done locally on the Repository Server?
Right now the Tapelibrary needs to be attached to the Backup & Replikation Server itself which in turn requires you to either also host your repository on the same server or live with the performance impact of moving data across the network. Also - scalability with several tapelibraries would be much better if they could be located on a repository server.

-Keyser
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As mentioned above, we do consider adding such a functionality in one of the next product releases. For, you can use third party tool in order to expose via ISCSI protocol tape appliance that is physically connected to the repository.

Thanks.
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 »

Just out of curiousity and really looking out for a proxy-connected tapelibrary, has your consideration for adding the functionality in one of the next product releases already taken a more solid form, i.e. can we expect something happening there in a forthcoming release?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Most likely, yes.
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 »

sounds great,

thanks
stjg@sams.ac.uk
Novice
Full Name: Steve Gontarek

Post by stjg@sams.ac.uk »

Like most here , I have a Virtual VEEAM and a physical backup proxy - which also happens to have an MSL4048 attached to it as the backup proxy is also an archive storage server for other files. However I have to use expensive 3rd party software to backup to Tape ( which includes the VEEAM backup files). So VEEAM supporting Tape drives on proxies gets my vote- the sooner the better.

So some more questions:

1. The "6 month" expectation on supporting this was made in October - as it is now March - any update on this feature ?

2. I would also be interested to know if there are plans to support multiple proxies with a SAN attachment to the same tape library & Drive. This is what our set up is - 3 archive servers attached to the same Tape drive via a Fibre SAN switch - I am , in effect trying to achieve is a LAN-Free Serverless backup environment - is it likely that VEEAM could support such an environment eventually ?

3. As well as the VEEAM backup files on our backup proxies, I also store other 'archive' files on these servers. I would really like to be able to back these up to tape too, using VEEAM. However past testing has shown me that VEEAM Tape backup is optimized for the larger backup files and performs excruciating slow when backing up tens of thousands of smaller files - will this issue be resolved in a later release ?

Steve
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

stjg@sams.ac.uk wrote:1. The "6 month" expectation on supporting this was made in October - as it is now March - any update on this feature ?
As it is stated above, good chances that this functionality will be added to the next major release, which is scheduled for this summer.
stjg@sams.ac.uk wrote:3. As well as the VEEAM backup files on our backup proxies, I also store other 'archive' files on these servers. I would really like to be able to back these up to tape too, using VEEAM. However past testing has shown me that VEEAM Tape backup is optimized for the larger backup files and performs excruciating slow when backing up tens of thousands of smaller files - will this issue be resolved in a later release ?
The next product release should also significantly improve file to tape job performance.
MMoret
Novice
Full Name: Martijn Moret

[MERGED] Feature request - Tape via proxy server

Post by MMoret »

Hi all,

Here is my suggestion.
Image the following setup:
Two sites; active active
We have a B&R installed on a physical server in site A
A proxy in site B
We make local backups and backup copies to the other site (cross).

We have a tape library in site A. We make tape backups for quarterly and yearly archive purposes.

I would like to have:
A virtual backup server (using all the nice HA features).
Two physical proxies for lan-free backup and tape out on each location.
This way backups to tape can be made off-site directly.

Is there anyone who can explain why the backup server must have the tape library and not the proxy (the proxy main function is data transport...)

Kind regards,
Martijn Moret
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi Martijn, the upcoming v8 release should provide the said functionality; so, stay tuned. Thanks.
scott.anderson
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Scott Anderson

Post by scott.anderson »

Vlad,

do you know if we can look forward to a granular file level recovery straight from tape, rather than having to stage the whole VM to disk before getting file level recovery?

Cheers
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Can't comment at the moment. Stay tuned, as we will announce more features closer to v8 release. Thanks.