Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
terrance101
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

speed of replication query

Post by terrance101 »

Hi all,

I am replicating a vmware machine across to one of our remote sites with veeam 7. I have set the local proxy to allow jobs at 100KB/s but I see that the job is going at 280KB/s. The sites link is very slow that's why I need to set it so low and I don't want it going over the 100KB mark. Is there something that I'm missing?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: speed of replication query

Post by foggy »

How have you specified the throttling rule? Do you have proxy servers deployed at both sites?
terrance101
Enthusiast

Post by terrance101 »

I have only specified a source proxy and this is where I have set the limitation. Is this not enough?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

For remote replication it is always recommended to have proxies at both ends, so that the data transfer the WAN in a highly compressed format. Throttling rules can be configured for any pair of proxy servers.
terrance101
Enthusiast

Post by terrance101 »

Okay, I've tried now with a proxy at the remote site and speed has jumped up even higher so it's not he proxy issue. Any other possibilities?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

How do you define the throttling rule and do you have v7 patch 1 installed? There was an issue with the basic release where traffic throttling did not work if the "Use multiple upload streams per job" check box in the Traffic Throttling dialog was cleared.
terrance101
Enthusiast

Post by terrance101 »

I have patched the servers as well now and proxies however the speed is still climbing way over the 100KB/s mark. hmmm looks like the throttling doesn't work.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then it's time to involve support, they will be able to review your setup via remote webex session and define the reason of this behavior.