Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
0xff
Lurker
Liked: never

[VeeamBR5] Restarting an older job

Post by 0xff »

Hello all,

I was doing an offsite backup through a "not-so-reliable" link and it failed at 98% because of link loss.
The backup strategy is 1 full and 6 incremental, consolidating once a week.

Now I have 1 vbk + 1 vib on my off-site storage. I'd like to restart the job so it starts a new vib. Unfortunately it started with a new full (the first full image was done on site with an external drive and copied to the off-site location) and it takes more than 1 week to complete (lucky me it won't fail at 98% again... :roll:). I'd like Veeam to restart with a .vib.

Is it possible ? Why can't it just restart at where it failed ? Can't it see the full and an increment are already in place and go with it ?
I'm using Veeam B&R 5.0.1.198 (64bits), would an upgrade help ?

Thank you in advance, Veeam is a great product when it works but is a b*tch when it fails. :evil:
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [VeeamBR5] Restarting an older job

Post by foggy »

Did you have successful increments after copying the initial VBK file offsite?

It's definitely worth upgrading since your Veeam B&R version is not even officially supported anymore. Starting v6, backup mapping functionality is available allowing to avoid sending full backup over the slow link after seeding. Also, latest versions of Veeam B&R had significantly improved reliability of data transfer over unreliable WAN links.
0xff
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: [VeeamBR5] Restarting an older job

Post by 0xff »

foggy wrote:Did you have successful increments after copying the initial VBK file offsite?
Nope, it failed during the first off-site backup.
(though I already did it on other VMs and it worked great)
foggy wrote:It's definitely worth upgrading since your Veeam B&R version is not even officially supported anymore. Starting v6, backup mapping functionality is available allowing to avoid sending full backup over the slow link after seeding. Also, latest versions of Veeam B&R had significantly improved reliability of data transfer over unreliable WAN links.
Ok, thank you.