Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sheppyh
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Harry John

Backup Copy & Traffic Throttling

Post by sheppyh »

Hi,

We have setup traffic throttling rules correctly but are not seeing our Backup Copy jobs being throttled, currently fully utilising our 100Mbps link.

Are traffic throttling rules able to be applied to backup copy jobs? I see when you look at properties of backup proxies you can ensure the traffic throttling rules have been applied to the proxy.

But there is no such section for properties on a repository server, where I know the processing takes place when running a backup copy.

Could someone clarify? We do have this in with support (case #00475931) but wondered if someone here was able to answer the above question.

Many thanks,

Harry
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy & Traffic Throttling

Post by foggy »

Harry, throttling rules are applied between two Veeam agents running on specific IPs (be it either proxy or repository server). What Veeam B&R version do you use? There was an issue with the v7 release, where traffic throttling did not work if the "Use multiple upload streams per job" check box in the Traffic Throttling dialog was cleared.
sheppyh
Novice

Post by sheppyh »

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

We are running patch 1 which should have resolved this issue and have the option ticked.

Good to know the rules also apply to repository servers.

Perhaps the jobs need restarting to pick up the throttle rule? I hoped this would be on the fly.

Thanks again,

Harry
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Throttling rules should be applied immediately, no need to restart anything. If you feel like everything is configured properly but the rules still do not take effect, I recommend contacting support so they could review your setup and find the reason of this behavior.
sheppyh
Novice

Post by sheppyh » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Just to add the info support gave me to this thread:
Hello,

Unfortunately, we have discovered another issue: "Throttling wouldn't work for all tasks in the job if it started earlier when time frame for throttling rule is specified."
This will be fixed in a forthcoming patch (not Patch 2 though), and we don't have an estimate for the fix yet.

In this situation I'm afraid you will have to restart the jobs.

The traffic throttling is logged in the Task logs (%programdata%\Veeam\Backup\<JobName>\Task.<TaskName>.log)
Restarting the jobs did fix the issue.

Thanks foggy for your input
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for this update, much appreciated.