Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Kellen.Flood
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kellen Flood

Novell Groupwise Recovery?

Post by Kellen.Flood »

If I have Novell Groupwise installed on a linux VM, how would I recover items from the application? U-AIR or FLR and if so who has experience with either.

Thanks in advance
gwguruman
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: EDWARD HANLEY

Re: Novell Groupwise Recovery?

Post by gwguruman »

I know getting some Novell Assist time will help you in this project at https://www.novell.com/consulting/assist/
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I’m not that familiar with Novell stuff, but, starting from the version 7, the VB&R FLR has had support for granular item recovery from NSS volume.

If you’re after restoring specific application item, then, you have to utilize U-AIR with its universal wizard.

Thanks.
gwguruman
Lurker
Full Name: EDWARD HANLEY

Post by gwguruman »

You do not mention what OS the GroupWise system is running under or the version of the GroupWise system (i.e. 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, or 2012). The GroupWise back-end can run 100% on three different core OSes (or a mix of all three): (1) Novell NetWare which would use NSS (2) Windows Server which would use NTFS or (3) Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) which would use NSS or Ext3 or Reiserfs or Ext2 or Btrfs or ETC file systems.

In any case, to gain access to a users mailbox within a GroupWise Post Office, you will need the complete PO file structure since GroupWise implements SiS (Single Instance Store) to obtain very low disk space consumption for thousands of mailboxes within a PO. Exchange 2007, 2010, 2013 on the other hand does not implement SiS technology, therefore each mailbox has its own DB which consumes massive amounts of disk space.
thornec
Novice

Post by thornec »

Curious if you had any headway on this? BTW i believe he mention linux vm, assuming Sles.

I talked to our GW person and he said he's restored the vmdk file to on of the other sles boxes and mounted it there. Then he did a bunch of other stuff in console one and something thru the client. Not sure what all was entailed but im assuming a GW admin would have an idea what to do with the volume once it was mounted.