Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
markp
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mark Peterman

Feature Request for Backup Copy Job

Post by markp »

I have a feature request for Backup Copy Jobs. If these requests are already possible in v7, I apologize as I have not found them.

1. On failure of calculating digests Veeam does not retry. This leads to large data transfers over the WAN (and a long wait) for what may have been a temporary loss of connection. Once a digest fails for a VM, it appears that Veeam will never retry even if the job is restarted.

2. Set number of retires (it appears that 5 retries is a static number).

3. Add seeding into the Job settings similar to replication jobs.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Feature Request for Backup Copy Job

Post by Gostev »

1. This failure needs to be investigated through support, as in theory digests calculation should never fail (it is just about reading the data from disk, and hashing it).
2. This is most certainly available as the registry setting, but I don't have those handy.
3. This is available through Map backup functionality of the Backup Copy job wizard.
markp
Influencer

Post by markp »

Thanks for the comments.

1. When digests are missing on the source and loaded from the target and the connection drops, the digest calculation will fail. I am sure that I set this up wrong initially such that the digests should have been present, I have not found a good step by step on seeding a backup copy then moving offsite. from what I have learned, you should probably use the WAN accelerator during seeding to populate the source cache. Also, if the initial sync is not finished in one copy interval, the .vib will ruin your day. You will be looking at fulls for the rest of the VMs that did not finish even though you may a have a full at the target.

*edit: the digest calculation does retry on the next copy interval. I was incorrect.

You can see on the last line that the connection dropped. The tough part is that digests will not be attempted again.

2. All other job types have a retry setting in the job wizard.

3. I did map the backup at the target, but I was hoping the job wizard would be a little more in tune to the fact that a large number of users will be seeding and then pushing offsite. An Initial sync menu item would be nice. Such that the sync is not interrupted by the copy interval (no one knows how long this will take so setting the copy interval is arbitrary at first). I could set the copy interval to 10 days but most users would not find this obvious until there sync was interrupted. Also making it more obvious for users in the job wizard that they may want to populate the cache during seeding in order reduce the time of the initial sync.

Thanks,
markp
Influencer

Post by markp »

By the way, the Backup Copy Job with WAN Acceleration is as awesome feature and made offsite a possibility for me. I do appreciate the work that was done on this and Veeam deserves all the credit in the world for this feature.