Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ScottR
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Rundle

Veeam + QNAP TS879U-RP + Slow WAN Link with RTTR?

Post by ScottR »

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been asked a few times before.

Scenario:

I am moving a client away from Tape (Backup Exec) and would like to move to a disk based backup with off site replication.

They currently use Backup Exec as their backup software but I am keen to move them to Veeam. They have been recently moved to a Vsphere 5.5 environment so i know I need to wait until Veeam support 5.5, which should be about next month.

The plan would be to use two QNAP TS879U devices to store the backups. Both initially kept locally at the client site to perform the sync but later one would be placed off site and connected via VPN through a 1Mbit line.
I realize the WAN link is quite poor but the area they are in doesn't give many options in terms of bandwidth.
Both units would then make use of the RTTR sync to replicate the Veeam backups.

Total backup size is 1.3Tb with average of 1-4GB differential each day.

I plan to run the sync outside of working hours (5:30pm to 6:00am) and all day on weekends.

My questions are:
How good is the RTTR feature on the QNAP devices?
Will it perform OK on a WAN link of this speed?
Does the RTTR feature include some sort of notification report so it can be monitored?
Should I make use of the Veeam V7 feature (WAN Accelleration instead?)

Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Scott
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam + QNAP TS879U-RP + Slow WAN Link with RTTR?

Post by foggy »

ScottR wrote:Should I make use of the Veeam V7 feature (WAN Accelleration instead?)
I would say yes. As far as I understand, RTRR is file-level, while Veeam B&R WAN acceleration is block-level and provides very efficient backup traffic deduplication.
ScottR
Novice

Post by ScottR »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Does that mean I would need an additional Windows box at the other site to act as a backup proxy?

Kind Regards,

Scott
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You will need to have a target repository, as well as, a target Wan accelerator server deployed at remote site. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, this Windows server will serve as a proxying server for your NAS repository as well as WAN accelerator.
Jonathan
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by Jonathan »

Why bother with sluggish QNAP hardware using software RAID when you can have build a Windows Server 2012 box with decent hardware RAID for the same kind of cash? We've used QNAP 8-bay devices in the past for SMB/NFS/iSCSI/FTP and the like, but generally, they're not worth the trouble. These days we usually go for a 4U Supermicro chassis/motherboard combo.
ScottR
Novice

Post by ScottR »

Hi thanks everyone for the input so far.

It looks like we'll be going for the WAN acceleration method.

The only issue with building the server ourselves is then were directly responsible for repairing any failed parts.

We may just end up getting a HP Storageworks box of some sort I had hoped the higher end QNAP I spec'd would however be sufficient as they aren't that expensive (£3k for 16TB SATA).

Cheers,

Scott